Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 26, 2003, 9:36 PM   #1
Default C5050 users - what do you recommend for a case?

For all of you C5050 users, I'm looking for a case for my new camera.

I'll be going to Italy in a few months and I would like a case that is not to cumbersome to carry around. Ideally, I would like one that I can hang from my belt.

A couple of concerns:
I will probably put a UV filter on the camera for protection. I assume this also means I need a tube to attach the filter on. (I'm green in this area, so please forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about).

When walking around Italy, I usually carry a backpack with water, sunscreen, etc. The last time I was there, I just put my 35mm camera in the backpack. However, the camera itself was in an Optech form fitting case.

I'm looking for case suggestions that will fit the above criteria. I don't know if it would be practical to get a small belt type case and then attach the lens tube when needed, but I'd hate to have to carry around a case the size of a small lunch box.

Any suggestions?

MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:00 PM   #2

Oly has a dedicated case that is kind of tough to get. Lowepro makes a decent case. You could attach it to your belt and carry extra batteries and memory. I had one for a day but returned it when I found out that a Nikon 5700 leather bag works perfect. Except for the lens tube. The lens adapter and filter will make just about any bag it fits in cumbersome. I am dealing with the same thing. I, however want the lens tube to use a good quality cir.polarizer. If you're careful you probably don't need a uv filter. Many people have awesome lenses(as the 5050 does) and cover them up with $5 Uv filters. Kind of defeats the purpose of having good glass in the lens itself. Best thing you can do is go to a well stocked camera store with your stuff and try them all out.
r-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:24 AM   #3

here is the only case for the 5050 i have seen that looks good ( actually looks grat).
And here is where you buy it:
It is from the japanese site, so I cannot read it either, but one of these days i will getsomeone i know to help me out and order it.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:10 PM   #4

Hi geof,

Very nice case shown but dificult to get from Japan. I also browsed few stores and finally decided a LowerPro case less than $30 ! A little tight if I packed 2 sets of batteries & chargers ... to add protection in case I banged the case "gently" by accident.

It depends on personal taste though. I prefer low profile and don't attract attention when carrying this expensive item around !

HarryNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 9:07 AM   #5

I highly recommend the Lowepro Orion Mini, attaches to your waist like a fanny-pak and will hold all your batteries, cards, and other stuff.
pdkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 9:26 AM   #6

I purchase a Kodak case a Walmart. It cost $15. I has room for my camera with Kenko 41mm to 52mm tube attached, my uv filter, polarizer fileter, and Raynox 1850 telephoto lens. It also has an external compartment for extra batteries and media. It would be worth a look.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 10:55 PM   #7

I bought a Tamrac Digital Series yesterday. I have no idea of the model number. It holds my C-5050 with the adapter tube and filter just perfectly. It has enough pockets to hold two filters, my extra memory cards and loops for four additional batteries. It has a shoulder strap that I replaced immediately and it also has a wide belt loop. I think it was around $24.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 7:23 AM   #8

Hi Patrick,

I'm guessing from what you say that your case is the Tamrac Digital 6. It's a near perfect fit for the C-5050z. I like the Tamrac Digital 8, which is equally perfect for the C-5050 with a Raynox 41-52 mm adapter tube and UV filter (not the $5 kind; a Hoya HMC) plus a good flashgun.

Steve Price
Steve_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 4:38 PM   #9

I like the compact size of the Olympus C5050Z so more than likely I will not add any accessories to the camera (well, it's not absolutely true, I recently bought the Nikon AS-15, hot shoe to PC socket converter, I use that to connect the C5050Z to the studio flash system, and it works great). Three years ago, I saw the Lowe-pro leather camera case in their product catalog, I just can resist and I ordered one even through I don't have any camera to put in the bag at that time. The C5050Z fits the bag perfectly, including two extra CF cards and an extra set of 4 AA Nimh batteries. The bag is made by high grade soft leather, you can carry it via your waist belt or by the provided long leather strap. I don't see it on the current Lowe-pro catalog any more, but I think you still can order it through J&R of NY. There are 3 different sizes of the leather bag, but there is only one that has the long shoulder leather strap, the other two smaller size will not fit the camera.

My next three trips with this camera will be Kansas City, Chicago and NY.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 5:11 PM   #10

I have a Lowepro Nova 1 for my C4000 (I think the 5050 is about the same size)...it is a really neat case with lots of pockets, adjustable dividers, foam protection, etc...holds lots of stuff.

It might be a little bigger than you are looking for, but it is still small enough that it does have belt loops for attaching it to your waist belt, should you so desire.

If I'm just throwing the camera in my backpack with a couple of cards, I have a cheapo smaller case just to give it a little protection.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote