Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 2, 2003, 2:21 PM   #1
Default 4040 vs 2100uz

What would be the advantages of one over another in addition to the difference in MP, the lenses and the flip-out screen on the 4040? I llike low light photography and wildlife photography? I can get a 4040 for $309 and the uzi's are up to $500 now.
kandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2003, 3:33 PM   #2

First of all, I believe you are confusing the flip-out screen on the 5050 with the 4040, which does not have one! Please find below the differences I am aware of below:

The UZI has a stabilized 10x zoom, which will allow you to magnify your subject 10/3 times more than with the 4040, and hold the zoomed frame steadier for longer exposures. It also has a focus assist lamp, which will ensure proper focusing even in complete darkness at up to 9 feet. It comes with rechargeable batteries and charger. The UZI has an electronic viewfinder offering "what you see is the viewfinder is what you get" along with the option to see most of your camera settings through the viewfinder. The 4040 has a regular optical viewfinder. Because the UZI has a fixed zoom lens, it's the larger of the two cameras.

The 4040 has twice the megapixels, an F1.8-2.6 lens vs F2.8-3.5 for the UZI (lower numbers means less light is required for exposure), and it is still in production, or at least much easier to find new than an UZI. It has noise reduction and it has a constrast adjustment. It also has a pixel mapping function that will allow you to fix defects in the CCD (You would have to send the UZI in to fix this).

I know, that's probably more than you wanted to know, but you DID ask! If you want the ability to zoom in from far away, take photos in the dark, and won't ever need to print over 8x10's, get the UZI. Otherwise, the 4040's for you!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote