Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:54 PM   #21
Default Concert Shots

I agree with both Hyun and Punchdrunkfunk that a digital camera is less than perfect for stage photography. If I were responsable for delivering pictures, I would use the Leica and a very fast film, preferably black and white. Digital shutter lag can be very annoying in this situation. Another disadvantage is the increased sensitivity of digital cameras to bright direct spot lights because of the limited dynamic range.
But I respectfully disagree that the 1.8 lens of certain Olympus models would do much of a difference. The extra 1.3 eposure steps compared with F=2.8 usually are greatly overestimated. As soon as you zoom to tele, the difference becomes virtually zero (F=2.6/F=2.8). In order to get faster shutter speeds (which is the biggest concern) I would take the risk of underexposure and postprocessing.

Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 1:20 AM   #22
Default Re: Concert Shots

Originally Posted by HerbertRD
As soon as you zoom to tele, the difference becomes virtually zero (F=2.6/F=2.8).
Regards, Herbert
If you have a press pass to shoot a concert/club, you will not need much zoom. The faster lens also focuses better and quicker in low light-which does makes a big difference.

punchdrunkfunk is offline   Reply With Quote