Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:10 PM   #1

I've seen a lot of warnings about so called inferior "grey market" cameras (the ones you can buy on ebay or similar sites) that are shipped from Hong Kong or Malaysia. The warnings all state that the parts are inferior to those used in the cameras brought out of Japan.

I though this was strange, that huge camera companies like Olympus, Canon etc, would allow this to happen, potentially ruining their hard fought reputation.

I wrote to Olympus USA and Olympus Australia to ask their opinion and this is the reply I got from Olympus USA:

"We value you as an Olympus customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this situation.

We are sorry but the information that you have obtained is not true. Olympus has different assembly facilities and all products are built with the same quality.

This is your Email Response Tracking Number : 844488. Please use this number if you need to refer to this email for further assistance. You can also browse our website by visiting http://www.olympusamerica.com/

Digital Technical Support
Olympus Imaging America Inc.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Is the whole Grey Market thing something people use to stop other people buying the same camera overseas at a reduced price instead of buying it from their shop at retail?

Thanks for any advice.

ViS_Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2005, 1:08 AM   #2

I never believedthe grey market products were inferior. however after sales support is frustrating at best. Although most sellers opn ebay are co-operative, you still have to factor in the cost of shipping stuff back and the time lapse in between.

Having said that, almost every camera item i have bought has been from Bhphotos(im in australia)or ebay. Luckily i have not had any major warranty issues.

I was always under the impression that the olympus warranty was internation, anyone know that for sure?

Compact flash is very cheap on ebay, and i doubt they will give you any trouble.

I would not buy anything second hand on ebay. Warrantys are not transferable the last time i checked.

Macpod is offline   Reply With Quote