Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:45 PM   #1
Default Olympus D40/C40 Feedback

I have been looking at Digitals now for over two weeks. I have gone from considering the newest C5050, C4000 to Canon S45, S230. Now I am reconsidering another strategy. I believe I will take more photos with a smaller camera, albeit maybe not as nice were I to take them with Larger cameras with more options. So I am considering the Older Olympust D40 refurbished by Olympus. They are going for about $300 with accessories, putting them in a 2MP price range.

I have read many reviews and many consider it to be equal to the new C50 with more features. Its size will work for me.

My two main concerns are:

1) The quality of the pictures. I have seen some posted in some of the reviews and they appear a little unclear/fuzzy noisy? Is this correct or due to user error? Will they exeed resolution and picture quality of a newer 5MP like the C50. I assume its pictures will exceed all 2MP cameras, specifically Canon S200 on have been considering.

2) Anyone have comments about factory refurbished units form Olympus. I believe you can get extened warranties if you want. Several on EBAY have questionable feedback.

So do I go with an older D50 or spend the same on a new 2-3MP unit which will cost the same or more.

Comments from any owners?????
watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2003, 5:43 PM   #2
Default D40 comments

I have owned my D40 for over a year and I LOVE IT! ! The size is great and the quality of the photos surpasses anything that I have seen from my friends who own Canon and Fuji cameras..

I would strongly recommend this camera!!
mgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 8:31 PM   #3

If you're new to digital cameras I think it is better to start cheaper (I had a $50 Jamcam before I got a C-700)...but don't be suprised if soon after you want to move a more advanced, expensive camera. I've owned a C-700 for 7 months, and I've already outgrown it and wish for more (in my case a dSLR, but the problem is as always my desire is bigger than the wallet).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote