Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:57 PM   #1
Default Photographing through a window

Bright and early this morning I saw two Canada Geese that had taken it into their heads to sit down in the road just outside my kitchen window. I thought of grabbing my C5050 for a quick shot, but decided that it would be faster and a surer thing to quickly grab a photo with my old Rollei 35S. I got the photo just in time before the birds were disturbed.

But I was wondering if I could have taken the shot on autofocus right through the glass with my C5050? The autofocus works on contrast doesn't it? Or would the glass have prevented an in focus shot?
(I haven't used manual focusing yet, and it would have taken too long to remember how to set it up, which is why I grabbed the film camera.)
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2003, 1:57 AM   #2

Here's how autofocus works on the 5050:

I admit in that same situation I would have grabbed the 5050 and switched on the auto drive and then down to HQ so I can grab a sequence of them flying away (if they did). The only thing about the 5050 is the AF assist beam...does it come on for EVERY shot, even in bright daylight, because that could have startled them.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati, and keep your stick on the ice! :lol:
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 1:43 PM   #3

The 5050 has no problem focusing through windows. Take a look at this shot taken through a plane window: very scratched, etc.
I have also taken photos through windows with it with no problems

tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote