Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:34 PM   #1
Default Stylus 300 or Canon S230?

I will be getting my first digital camera soon. I have narrowed down to either Stylus 300 or Canon S230.
Pls help me to decide. Basically both are similar except for the 3X zoom on the Stylus and the audio recording for the S230.
If both are of the same price, which would be worth the money?
Ken C
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:38 PM   #2

Is the Canon weather resistant like the Stylus? Although I'm not a fan of this type of camera, but if I was choosing I'd pick the Stylus so I can shoot in foul weather.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 1:52 AM   #3

Yeah, Mike's right about the durability and construction of the Stylus, but I value the opinions of the folks at www.megapixel.net, who like the Canon a lot more, especially for its lens and 9 point AF, resulting in near-perfect images, according to their tests. What they didn't like in the Stylus was:
*Auto ISO only
*No long exposure.
*No AF assist lights
Hope this helps, blessings, Johnny :lol:
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 4:27 AM   #4

Does the Stylus 400 have more manual features? I can't remember right now.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 6:05 PM   #5

Nope, the Stylus 400 is exactly the same as the Stylus 300, except for the 4.0 megapixels CCD.

I think that between the 300 and 400, the 300 is the obvious choice because the price difference between the two cameras is pretty high, and there's not much difference in image size and quality from 3.2 to 4.0 megapixels.

I had the same question about a month ago, and I've bought online a Canon Powershot S400 recently. I've tested at a store both the S230 and the Stylus 300, and while I love the look and the construction of the Stylus 300, the Canon had better image quality, especially in indoor (w flash) pictures. Also, the Stylus 300 doesn't have any shortcuts on the unit for quick automatic setup. You always have to turn the LCD on, and choose all the settings in the menu.

It's too bad because the Stylus 300 had everything I was looking for on paper. I don't understand why all the Canon Elph cameras still have a plastic made CF card door and battery compartment. What's the point of having a metal body if it's not 100% made of metal? If by mistake you drop the camera on the "wrong" side, you'll break the CF door almost certainly...

Anyway, hope this help you a bit!

bruf is offline   Reply With Quote