Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 17, 2003, 8:22 PM   #1

Default USB connection problem re Oly C2100UZ

Hi All...

My system is an older system running Windows 95. I previously upgraded to Windows 98 2nd Edtion. My problem is the slow upload from camera to Computer re ther serial port. So I decided to install USB PCI Card. No problem, windows reconised it immediately and automatically installed software. My problems arose when I connect my uzi to the USB cable switched the camera on and widows reconised it as new hardware requesting drivers.
I have attempted to use both Camedia 2.5 and the Upgraded Utility 5.11. problem still persists. I did download a Camedia driver but it hasn't worked or I intalled it in the wrong location. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:55 PM   #2

Geordie,

Your best bet will be forget the camera connection altogether and go with a simple card reader. Since your camera uses SmartMedia, I would get a SmartMedia adapter that can be read from your floppy drive. It won't be fast, but it'll work just fine. Alternatively get a USB reader since you've already invested in a USP port. Either way you can download your photos without connecting the camera directly.

Hope this helps
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:17 PM   #3

I'd second that since to download pictures from the 2100 you NEED to use Camedia (other newer cameras can do the transfer with any program since the newer cameras appear on the computer as an external drive). The card reader will appear on your computer as an external drive.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:51 AM   #4

Thanks very much for your solution to my problem. I will take your advice in much haste. :lol: My wife was watching QVC and saw a Lexmark printer. (USB) which also had a card reader installed with it. Apparently it can read any card. Would this act in the same way.

Once again thanks in advance.

Cheers &...
Old Mar 19, 2003, 6:39 AM   #5

Hi,

I recently bought an Epson photo sylus 925 with the built in card reader. Its fantastic - you don't even need to use a computer. Yiou can even get a preview monitor for it.

However, I would just like to point out that this is not a portable solution :-) If you travel lots than it may useful to have a card reader also.
idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:36 PM   #6
lg

Geordie, you'll be very happy with the card reader. May I suggest upgrading to XP? Even if you have to replace your computer, the multimedia support makes it all worthwhile. A wizard automatically recognizes your card reader, renames pics to something meaningful, and optionally deletes pics from card after transfer. The built-in viewer for pics makes it a breeze to manage your pics on the hard drive. The printing wizard formats full sheets for all popular photo sizes, from index prints to wallets to 8x10's! Want to burn a CD to archive your pics? Just drag & drop to CD-R drive, multisessions are available for adding pics to ones already written. All this and NO DRIVERS! Just a suggestion...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:59 PM   #7

With the card reader built into the printer you can print from the card without using the computer which is fine if you don't want to edit or archive your pictures onto CDR...the question is, can you download from that built-in cardreader TO the computer (I admit I never used a card reader that was built into a printer, nor do I want to because I like to edit the pictures first).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 10:58 AM   #8

Thanks for all your great sugestions. I have now purchased a card reader/writer. Problem solved. Re upgrading to XP I have no doubt that I will eventually. But what I have at the moment suits my needs. It has been upraded on two previous occasions and repaired. When it packs in again I'll make that purchase. Re the printers which also have a multi card reader facility. I have seen them and you can edit and upload with them. But as you say they are not portable. My priority at this moment is another camera and scope, which I have more or less made a final decision.

Thanks once again you have been a great help.

Cheers &...