Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 18, 2003, 4:51 PM   #1
Default first digital camera, olympus 550z or new 300 or other ???

Hello, I am about to buy my first digital camera. I had about made up my mind on an Olympus 550z, but now they come out with a new stylus? 300, which is $ 100.00 more that the 550z

Why buy the new one, although I do like the looks of it. I also want a camera I can hook up to a t.v and show my pictures, any thought or help would be appreciated, or if there are other better in that category. Thanks beng
Beng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2003, 6:15 PM   #2

If I remember right, the Stylus 300 is basically a glorified D-550 (which has been discontinued, by the way--the replacement is D-560) with weather-proof metal body. It uses xD instead of D-550's SmartMedia (the D-560 uses xD as well).

Unless the stylish appearance and the "weatherproof" (I don't honestly know how well that works) factors are important to you, I'd recommend the D-560. I have the D-550 and I'm very pleased with it.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:17 PM   #3

Either would be fine. I personally prefer the D-550 because it uses AA's rather than a proprietary lithium battery.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 6:57 PM   #4

I agree the D-550 is awesome camera. I like that you can use regular AA batteries too.
twigs is offline   Reply With Quote