Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:53 PM   #11

This way you can also scan your negatives.
Originally Posted by rych26
Herbert...that's fascinating...you must really be a tinkerer! :lol:

What software will read the scanned negatives and convert them?
Actually, Olympus has such a device called a "Film Duplicator" but I can't find it on their site (only in their PDF accessory list). It goes on cameras such as the 4000, it has an opaque window that lets light in, and you insert the slides one by one. The problem with these type of devices is you never get the same light source twice. Much prefer doing it with a slide scanner.

As for converting negatives, most photo programs (even the free Irfanview) has a feature which will turn your image into a negative, so you just use the same thing to turn your negative into a postive, and then do any colour correcting needed after...just like you would in a photo lab.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:42 PM   #12
Default My tools!

For a scanner, check: hp scanjet 5500c. It quickley scans
stacks of 3 x 5 inch or 4 x 6 inch photos with up to 2400-dpi
resolution and true 48-bit color. Archive, reprint and enlarge
35 mm negatives and slides using the included lighted adapter.
Start scanning immediately, with no warm-up time previews in about 7 seconds. Launch and optimize each scan to web sites, CD's, printers, email and more. Make color copies at home-front panel controls let you print up to 99 copies in color or black and white on your printer. Install quickly with high speed -connection to USB-compatible PC and Mac computers.
This info is from a pamphlet at the dispaly at CompUSA.

The retail price is $299 and some change. Sam's Club in Houston has it for $267.++.

I do not have this scanner yet. A computer guru at the Houston Chronicle tried it and she was impressed and wrote about it in her column.
J Eachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:30 PM   #13

Originally Posted by gmlasam
I'm looking for a dedicated 35mm slide/film scanner to allow me to transfer some 35mm slides and negatives taken with my Canon AE-1 cameras.

I've heard excellent things about the Minolta Scan Dual III. It goes for around $300, and for that it price, it apparently works excellently. This is a dedicated film/slide scanner (that is, it's not a flatbed scanner with a negative/slide adapter).

Here's a link to the manufacturer's page on the scanner:

... and here are some reviews:

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:53 AM   #14

Originally Posted by rych26
Thanks for the info...pretty expensive...do you think that they'll drop in price over time, as most things do?...I would think that there'd be a pretty good demand as dig photography continues to grow.
Compared to most dedicated slide scanners, the Primefilm is very reasonable...the 1800U can be bought on the Costco website for $150.

I doubt it will get much cheaper for a slide scanner, especially with people switching over to digital and abandoning film altogether.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 4:02 AM   #15

Hyun thanks for those links. Mike_PEAT I was just looking at that same scanner. I tried it out at a local camera shop and I was very impressed with how it scanned my slides. Two days ago, costco had that scanner for $99.99 so I ordered it online. I will post some scanned photos when I get it, should be next week sometime.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:38 AM   #16
Default Scanning Slides with C4000Z!

Thank you all for your intresting and helpful remarks.

The Olympus film duplicator is pretty expensive. It was designed for cameras with no SuperMacro feature. I am shure that it utilizes a strong close-up lens, which does somewhat degrade the optical quality.

For myself, I would find it wasteful to own a C4000Z and buy an extra slide scanner. Please find out yourselves. I am going to modify my simple setup for the C4000z. It will be a little black square box from plywood or plastic. The bottom side is open to exactly hold a slide, the top has a circular hole for the inner lens tube of the C4000Z. Thus the slide is exactly positioned.

Maybe the box will be more sophisticated and include the lamphouse and an opaque glass or plastic. There is much room for experimenting. It is not a demanding job but a lot of fun. I am shure that some of you will have different or better ideas. Again, the 4000Z itself is a superb 1:1 slide scanner!

I am mostly using ISO 400, because the little incandescent lamp is not very bright, plus the aperture is preset to F=5.6 for extra depth of field. I never had quality problems with ISO 400 as long as the pictures were not underexposed. Of course you can use ISO 100 right away, if you make shure that the camera sits steady enough for longer shutter times. There is no reason for using manual focus, iESP works fine.

Good Luck, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote