Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:05 AM   #1

I need a little assistance. I want to buy a new camera so I come across many cameras and I studied about them. Following are the cameras I am attracted to and they are listed on priority bases

1. Olympus sp 500-uz

2. Sony DSC-h1

3. Nikon 7900

The good thing about sp500 is that it has good optical zooming and lots of sense modes but does not support image stabilization (I don't know its important or not but I usually have to take pics of moving things usually, tell me about it..)

Sony is good better optical zooming than sp 500 but got only 7 sense modes. I don't know it has image stabilization or not…do tell be about it.

Nikon 7900 got smaller LCD and smaller zooming but I heard about it that's its quite a good camera. Still I don't know that it support image stabilization or not.

So which camera is best for me.
And do tell me what is ISO and why it is needed. Thanks. Sorry for bad English
SAJJAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:18 PM   #2

Add to your list; Panasonic. Any of the FZ range - eg 5, 7, 20 or 30. All great camera's with extensive zoom's and image stabilisation.

ISO is the relevant 'film' speed. Think back to film camera's and the different speeds of film you could get ie, 100, 200 and 400 were the most common. Digital camera's have an equivilant and it's referred to as the same - ISO. The higher the number the faster the film and the better picture it took in low light.

As you can't 'add' film to digital camera's they come with various ISO's that you can choose from for different situations. Compacts from around 100 to 800 or 1600 in some cases. DSLR's up to 3200 speed. Unfortunately for most camera's the higher the ISO you choose (or the camera chooses for you) the higher the levels of noise. This may or may not be a bad thing depending on the camera and how much of a perfectionist you are.

Bad explaination but hopefully it made a bit of sense for you.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:12 AM   #3

The SP-500 is a good camera.

Concerning your comment on Image Stabilization (IS), you noted that you take a lot of photos of moving objects. IS will not help with that, as the IS function is to help with camera movement at low shutter speeds. IS will not help with subject motion blur in a photo. It is better to use a high shutter speed when shooting a moving object.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:26 AM   #4

The big problem with long zoom lenses in the 400mm equivalent range is that 1/200 second is a slow shutter speed when you are zoomed. Aim either the 500UZ or H1 at something in deep shade on a sunny day zoomed out and you will probably generate well less than 1/60 second shutter speed. That isn't enough to get a good shot without stabilization. If you get the Olympus plan on using the long telephoto capabilities only in very bright light or plan on carrying a tripod.

Even with stabilization getting long telephoto shots can be a problem without good light. A good burst mode helps quite a bit. By shooting in bursts you improve your chances of hitting a moment of null hand movement and you bypass any camera shake caused by pressing the shutter on the first shot. The H1 would be my last choice in super zoom stabilized cameras because it doesn't have an effective burst mode.

Other cameras in the H1 class are the Panasonic FZ20, FZ5, FZ7, FZ30, Kodak P850 and Canon S2 IS. The FZ5 and FZ20 don't have good movies. If you aren't interested in movies the FZ20 is an excellent all-round camera. It is the fastest of the lot at full zoom and has a good burst mode. For movies the S2 is hard to beat and is a very good camera. The FZ30 is a very large camera and pricey, but excellent overall.

Another option is the Fuji S9000. It doesn't have stabilization but has pretty good high ISO capabilities as long as you don't shoot raw. The stabilized cameras would give better pictures of still objects but high ISO is better for action.

The Nikon 7900 is so far removed from the others it is hard to make a comparison. It is a competent little camera but there are others I would choose in the pocket category. It isn't up to current standards for full autofocus shutter response and cycle times. And the resolution isn't quite up to the best, although that is something you wouldn't likely notice since the difference is small. It does have an optical viewfinder which many of the small cameras have eliminated.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote