Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Default Olympus c-4000 still worth a look?

Whilst still looking for a 4/5 MP camera, time and again the Olympus 4000 comes up as a good priced quality camera.

Here in the UK its 349 which is 200 chaper than the Canon G3 and the Olympus (seemingly noisy quality) 5050.

My research to date has not yet thrown up a better camera in terms of quality, though certainly features abound on the new breeds.

I could probably live without a hotshoe and remote control or swivel out LCD but before I go for it, has anyone an opinion on this C4000 which seems to offer me the bargain doorway to manual/creative control in my photography?

Or should I try to stretch to a G2/G3/Sony F717 etc?

Would love manual focus and a zoom and I currently still use my trusty Canon S10 2.1MP camera.

Any knowledge and wisdom would be appreciated.

Many thanks

John Leigh London UK
johnleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:28 PM   #2
Default C-4000

Hi John,

I'm still a novice at this, but I'll give you my opinion. I don't have any other digicam experience other than with the 4000, so I can't really make any comparisons and I've only been at this for about 4 months. With that caveat, I have to say I'm very pleased with the 4000. It takes great photos and I love the manual features. I started out using mostly the auto features but soon found situations where some of the manual features were called for. I've learned about many of them in this forum, which has been a great learning tool. I'm still learning, and having a great time doing so, but I find the manual features and some of the others as well to make this a great camera to grow with, while at the same time taking fantastic photos. Again, without knowing much about some of the others digicams out there, I'm sure there are some great features that I could get elsewhere, but I think I got a great camera at a very attractive price and I would recommend it to anyone.

Bill W.
bwarnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 4:42 PM   #3

As cameras are being discontinued by resellers is one of the best time to buy the camera. You may find great values for these cameras. I purchased my C4040 when Olympus was starting the press releases and announcements dates for the C5050. I was able to save several hundred dollars for an excellent camera (my opinion).

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 7:48 PM   #4

Agree with Gibson on that, I saved $200 on my C-700 a month before the C-730 came out (although some places were still selling it at full price).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 10:37 AM   #5

I have a C-4000Z, which was my second digital - the first was a Polaroid PDC-640.

The Oly is a pretty well designed camera. In my migration from the PDC-640, I was strictly a 'point-and-shoot' and hope for the best type picture taker. The Program mode of the Oly let me continue that, while the other modes let me start experimenting and learning about photography. Let me stress here that in my PDC-640 days I was EXTREMELY ignorant about photography. My decision to get a C-4000 was based mostly on luck - you pays your money, and you takes yours chances ! To be honest, I don't think I could have done better than the C-4000. Of course there are a couple of things I wish were different - like the ability to set the timer for different values, a remote control for use in macro shots, etc. I don't think there is a perfect camera - it's in design, but it's not ready for production yet !

From what you've said, I think you'd be quite happy with a C-4000. One thing I can tell you is that the features the camera does have seem to work well. I've done a lot of perusing of reviews, message boards, forums, etc. about the camera, and I haven't seen any real big complaints about this feature or that feature not working like it's supposed to. That being the case, if the camera has the features you want/need/etc it would be a good choice.
shugahmaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 2:04 PM   #6

I've had a C-4000z for the 4 months now and I'm very pleased with it. It's my only digital camera experience so far and so I cannot make comparative judgements, however from my research both before and after purchase I'm confident that you cannot do better for the money.

The camera has some minor usability weaknesses, but in the area that really matters - picture quality - it delivers. It works great as a point and shoot, but also has all the manual features a more serious photographer would want.

If you're interested check out my photolog:

All pictures are taken with the C-4000z. I also have a page with my short assessment of the camera and some samples.

Simon Courcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 3:28 PM   #7

Some very nice pics.

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 3:52 PM   #8

Tweeter,com has the c4000 for $299. Could this mean a replacement for the C4000?
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 8:37 AM   #9

"Temporarily out of stock" at Tweeter.com
jag147 is offline   Reply With Quote