Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 29, 2003, 2:17 AM   #1
Default going 5MP - how best to?

am far from being a pro but do appreciate ( and hope to take ) great photos - especially of outdoors. I first tried digital with a decent Canon 2mp and got really encouraged to upgrade. I havent really had the benefit of formally learning the basics of photography and believe that (rightly or wrongly !) a camera with "manual" options should help in my appreciation and thus improving my skills. The options here in Manila are :
a. Olympus c5050 ( $ 780 )
b. Olympus e20 ( $ 1259 )
c. Nikon 5700 ( $ 1150)
d. Minolta 7i ( $ 1050)

Grateful to hear your views / experiences with these. Many thanks!
mundace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:33 AM   #2

My friend has an E20 and very good it is too. It's too big for me especially when he screws on the 1.4x lens adaptor - you need a crane.

I would go for the Nikon 5700 which is highly praised in mags, with the 8x optical lens it's a beauty.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 7:24 AM   #3

Everyone has different priorities. I'm getting a new camera on Friday and I've decided on the Olympus C5050z. Any of the cameras you listed will, I believe, give you good pictures. One of my big priorities is a camera that is small and light enough to always have with me. Most of my best picture opportunities have been unplanned. Second, I live in a fairly remote part of Mexico and the C5050z uses rechargable AA batteries which I can get here, or almost anywhere, and are affordable.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote