Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:31 PM   #1
Default Wide Angle and Telephoto Add-on Lens for C5050

I am considering purchase of an Olympus C5050. I am not familiar with the add-on lens for wide angle and telephoto that are available for this camera. Can someone tell me how well these add-on lens function. Also can you tell me anything about who makes and sells the best quality add-on lens for this camera.
crlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2003, 9:47 PM   #2

I have a WCON-08E 0.8x wide angle adapter, which turns my 38mm lens into about a 30mm wide angle. It has great optics, no parallax distortion, and little or no CA.

I have been looking at a B-300 1.7x teleconverter, and it is very good. There's some discussion going on about the TCON 1.7 being perhaps a little sharper and exhibiting less CA in the Add On Lenses forum. Check out this area F/M/I on other options.

You'll probably need an adapter tube and/or step-up ring to use this with your camera. Check out the Compatibility Chart on Olympus' website for specifics. I believe all of the above lenses are made by Olympus.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 12:17 AM   #3

Here's some sample wide angle converters on a C-2100 (it has a 38mm wide angle instead of the C-5050's 35mm so not that different):
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 6:29 AM   #4

I have the Tiffen 2x tele lens for my C3040, which has the same lens as the 5050 (I believe). It works okay, but adds a lot of weight to the cam. It also obtructs the optical viewfinder due to it's large diameter, so you will need to use the LCD. The adapter tube threads into the camera body, and the lens extends into the tube. The lens then mounts to the threads on the outer end of the adapter tube. Hope that description helps you visualize the setup. Honestly, I rarely use the thing since I got the C730.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote