Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:54 AM   #1

I've just bought the 720 sw, mainly because it's waterproof and robust and I'm going to Thailand soon (it's the rainy season) and want to take photos in the rainforest and snorkelling. I was also looking at the Pentax Optio W10 but the 4 underwater scene modes on top of the other features won the day.

I am now a bit confused as I was scrolling through the UW scene modes and the following comes up on the screen:

Underwater wide 1 - Requires underwater housing

Underwater wide 2 - Requires housing

Underwater macro - Requires housing

Underwater snapshot - Depths up to 3m

Why on earth do the first 3 require 'underwater housing'? Either the camera is waterproof or it isn't. I won't be taking it any deeper than 3m and if I set it to one of thefirst 3 modes before I took itunder, what possible difference could pressing the shutter make?

I hope someone out there has some answers.

chrisuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:33 PM   #2

The four underwater scene modes do not require an underwater housing if used to not more than 10 feet. I confirmed this with Olympus US customer service before buying the camera.

The 720 SW took some nice underwater pictures during the last two weeks when we were snorkeling on the Big Island of Hawaii. I'll post a longer review when I see the quality of some of my enlargements.

You shold try all four, but I had the best results with the underwater 1 setting. After selecting it, I pressed OK again and then adjusted the ISO from 64 to 100 or 200. Fish don't stand still! I also have some great pictures of the back half of a fish swimming out of the frame. . . .

Best wishes.
Mr.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:12 PM   #3

Mr Steve

Many thanks for your reply. I was going to contact Olympus myself but haven't had the time so far - so thanks, you've saved me a call.

I'm looking forward to trying out the uw mode around Koh Phangan.

I'll keep my eyes open for your post and fingers crossed that your enlargements come out ok.

chrisuk is offline   Reply With Quote