Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 23, 2006, 3:26 PM   #1

I have gone through 4 cards now and the keep getting erased.

I'll be using it and turn the camera off and the next time I go to use it, it says that card needs to be formatted.

I figured it was old cards so I bought a brand new one...used it 1 or2 times, and then it did the same thing.

Is this a known problem with this model camera? Is it something that is repairable? Or is the camera toast?

Rynxprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:20 AM   #2

Chances are, the contacts just have a bit of oxidation on them.

Clean the contacts on the cards. Then, try removing and inserting your cards a few times and see if that helps remove any oxidation on the camera's card contacts.

As for formatting, I always format a card prior to every use using a camera's menus for format. No exceptions. That insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it (since it's peforming the format).

Bad batteries can also cause FAT corruption problems. You may want to make sure you've got a fresh set of fully charged, high capacity NiMH Batteries. They don't last forever and voltage problems can cause corrupted media. You may also want to clean the camera's battery contacts (I use qtips with a touch of alcohol for that purpose, although you want to make sure you don't leave any residue, so it doesn't cause more oxidation).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:29 AM   #3

Mine has a similar problem. When I take it out to use in reader the camera will not read the pics and I have to reformat the card. To get around this I do not take the card out and use the USB cord and go to the camera directly. I was just wondering how long it takes your camera to write the pictures to the card? I just got mine off of ebay and it take 12 seconds for a seq1. Is 12 seconds too long? If I got another card would it be faster? The one I have is not an olympus card.
volleybiggs is offline   Reply With Quote