Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Other Makes

Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:04 PM   #1

I am looking for a simple, cheap camera that can take normal pictures and not necessarily highest quality. I intend to download images into my Pentium 133 64 MB Ram through the printer parallel port.Before I buy, I would like to get an opinion on the following camera.

Remington ADC-65 Digital Color Camera with manufactures warranty... Super Compact & ultra lightwieght this unreal digital camera is a steal. The pictures it takes are clean, crisp & as life like as it gets. The internal DRAM memory allows super fast capture time & very quick retrieving time while downloading pictures. Also viewing images is simple as it gets with the built in optical viewfinder. Manufactures Suggested Retail Price $110.00 Specs: • Image Sensor Progressive scan CMOS • Resolution 256x 256 (65.5 kilo) square pixels • Optical Viewfinder • Lens f2.5 2-elements lens with IR coating • Color 8-bit levels per RGB (Red Green Blue) channel hardware 24-bit colors software. • Auto Exposure • Power Low LED Indicator • Memory 8-Mbit DRAM • Storage Capacity 15 images • Memory Full Warning Sound • Photo Capture OK Sound (2 short beeps) • Battery Life 500 photos capture and download • Capture Speed 0.2-sec • PC Interface Parallel (printer) port • Printer Cable 1.8-m • Downloading Time to PC 6 sec/image • Power Supply 4 AAA Battery (alkaline battery suggested not included) • DC Power Jack No • Size 8.1-cm x 5.6-cm x 2.6-cm • Weight 45.1g (not including battery) • Slide Battery Door • Software 1 CD-ROM software includes: Arcsoft PhotoBase, Photo album software with downloading feature, Arcsoft PhotoStudio, Photo editing software, ArcSoft PhotoFantasy Photo framing software, Photo template printing software. • Picture Format JPEG or Bitmap for IBM compatible computer • Operating System Windows 95 or Windows 98 (English Version).

Can anyone give me a piece of advice ? How big would the pictures be with this camera and how would they look like in quality ?

rolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:57 PM   #2

I bought an Agfa CL18 which is about the same specs, except I get 640x480 pictures instead of 256x256. I paid $10 Canadian (refurbished) a few weeks ago. However it uses USB, not parallel, so you'd have to buy a PCI card to add USB. It also works off the power from the USB when used as a WebCam and when uploading pics to the PC. To me it would be smarter to buy a 1MP camera with removeable storage made by a known manufacturer.
A couple of the "best" samples from the CL18 are here:

I checked out the Web ads for the Remington, and it has one VERY bad feature: if you lose power (battery dies or battery compartment opens) you lose any pictures stored in the camera. There is also no flash, so no indoors or night pictures. Even at $23 as advertised, it's not much of a bargain. A 256x256 picture is less than 1/4 the size of the samples I posted at Pbase.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote