Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Other Makes

Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:56 PM   #1
Default Lauren's Contax Tvs Digital First Look

Seeing it on the shelf:
  • It's an ugly ugly brick.
  • It seems like they could have made a slightly less drab case

Picking it up:
  • Good heft
  • Could probably be a little smaller. It definitely taxes the pocket (the salespeople really didn't like the 'pocket test')
  • Somewhat clumsy shape
  • Buttons are tiny and poorly laid out. No 'buy and shoot' with this one. The manual must be read.

• Fast zoom
  • Fast shutter response time
  • Why did it stop shooting after three pics?

• Controls are positioned badly. My thumb found its way into my eye every single time I used the zoom
  • Nice response time.
  • 3x optical is a little short compared to others in this price range

• WTF is up with the controls? Too difficult to comprehend at first glance.

• No discernable relationship between the $1,000 price tag and reality except for maybe the Contax name and the Zeiss lens. You can get a comparably equipped Sony DSC F717 for about the same price with a better feature set.
  • I was really disappointed that the camera decided that it wouldn't shoot anymore after taking a few shots. I wasn't about to wade through the controls to figure out how to make it start working again.

How Lauren's First Look works:

I go to the camera store across the street, pick up the camera, take a few shots, come back to work and try to recall my impressions of the camera. This is in no way meant to be anything more than my first impressions of the camera.[/list]
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2003, 12:37 PM   #2

And Steve agrees ... I just posted the TVS Digital review. This is a very expensive camera that just doesn't make it. Much better cameras for a LOT less out there.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote