Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:12 PM   #1

I didnt want to do it but there are so many other XTi threads that I didnt know which one would be the best to post in..... so.....

I just recieved my new XTi today from B&H along with a new monopod, speedlight 430ex flash and a couple other minor things. I already had the XT and decided to get the XTi also (dont ask why, I just wanted to). I already had the 18-55 kit lens with the XT so I opted for the 17-85 IS USM kit lens from B&H. That way the girlfriend can use the XT with the one lens and I can use the XTi with the new lens. I also have a sigma 70-300 so I figured this would cover the field pretty good.

Anyway, I cant wait to go out this weekend and play with it. I just have a few questions first. I have been reading about alot of issues with exposure being off and such and I have noticed that there are a fewmorepreset program settings that the XT doesnt have. My question is this, what have some of you set your personal presets to (or adjusted the stock presets) for various situations. The area I'm talking about is under the "picture style" setting where it lists "standard, portrait, landscape..... user def 1, 2, and 3" . I see you are able to adjust the stock settings or define your own. So, what are some settings you have found to work good (stock or custom) and if you would, please share them.

Oh, I will add that I have always shot in P,Tv, or Av mode. I havent attempted the M mode yet and I have never used the Auto settings. I would say my knowledge base is novice/small time hobbyist.

I dont post much but I do read alot on the board and would like to thank everyone here. I have learned alot and enjoy all the great photos that are posted.

Thanks, Scott

overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:46 PM   #2

Welcome to Canon boot camp. The rule of engagement is simple, just go out there and shoot from sunrise to sunset or until you drop death, whichever comes first.

Don't worry about the underexposure isssue of the XTI. I need to know if you can meter the shot of what to set in M mode? For example do you know how to use a gray card, or at least know how to check the histogram, you upgraded from the XT so I believe you can do either one or both, do you have the battery grip yet?

I'm trying to put together a simple easy to understand how to set the picture style for you in the next post. I promise you'll have a lot of fun with the XTI...the unconventional photography with the XTI to be exact, forget about the books/manual.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:48 PM   #3

Here how to set the Picture Styles, the default layout is like this:

1/ Standard Monochrme (b&w)

Portrait User Def 1

Landscape User Def 2

NeutralUser Def 3

Faithful

Change the User Def 1, 2, and 3 like this:

2/ Standard Monochrome

PortraitPortrait

Landscape Monochrome

Neutral Faithful

Faithful

See, you sandwitch the two color style Portrait and Faithful in between two b&w, that way you can shoot portrait style and switch to b&w in only one step in either diretion up or down, get it?

You go out there shoot color and b&w back and forth like a magician, very fast changing style and laugh all the way, the other guys can't do that with their dslr, they have to dig deep under layer and layer of menu, the model already get tired of waiting, the birds already went back to nest, the sun already set.

Don't worry about Portrait that you have to shoot real people protraiture, no, you can use portrait to shoot landscape or macro or anything you like, adjust the color/sharpness/contrast...with the supplied XTI software later in pp to suit your taste, most of the time you don't need to adjust more than a few clicks, the color is very pleasant in portrait/faithful style. Portrait and Faithful color are similar. No need to shoot in Raw unless you want to have fun with it, Canon jpeg is beautiful.

Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:48 PM   #4

Thanks Coldshot, I have been following your series of Civil War reinactment pics in the other post and needless to say they are great!

As for metering a shot and using a gray card, I'm not exactly sure.... I haven't used the M mode because of having to set both parameters. I have just played with setting either Av or Tv and let the camera set the other. And I have never used a gray card (for white balance, correct?).

I have had my XT for about a year and a half so I am pretty familiar with it, like mentioned before, from a novice/hobby stand point. I dont walk around with my camera strapped to my hip 24/7 but about1-2 weekends a month I'll go to the zooor myriad gardensor take shots around the house. I havent taken any photo classes so everything I know right now is from reading here and there and playing around. My type of shooting is going to the zoo, flowers, macro, my cat, birds in the back yard, etc... The less it moves, the better. I dont know if I could handle the fast paced action of some of your shots. I have been going to the local drag strip and plan on going more this summer. Hope that gives you a better understanding of my interests/experience/knowledge.

I'll try to get some of my photos posted either later today or tomorrow if that will give a better idea of what my interests/style is.

Thanks for the interest.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:59 PM   #5

ha, we finished typing our last post at the same time...

Thanks, that makes perfect sense with where to put the settings. I'll look into how to do that and move them around.

another question, I've noticed other people doing it like you mentioned and wondered why shoot in B&W when you could change it in PS. If you shoot in B&W, you dont have a color photo if you decide youwanted.

Scott
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:24 PM   #6

Ok, this is a simplest way to meter the scene to use M mode.

I need you to go out, set the dial on AV set the aperture to f8, ISO 100 or 200 or 400 up to you, point the camera down to the grass or concrete cement read in the view finder what the shutter speed the camera is showing you, turn the dial to M mode and set the same info...aperture f8 shutter speed XYZ you just read, you are done for good. It's not 100 percent accurate but it gives you somewhere to start, a reference point...ect. Later you might want to invest in a flash meter which I highly recommend the basic Sekonic for around $200 on B&H, but that's in the future, not now, just have fun with what you have like most of us do.

Take a sample shot and check the histogram you might want to adjust more or less shutter speed or increase ISO.

Thanks for the compliment on the civil war, those are easy shots any 10 yrs old kid can do the same, don't get intimidated by those fast moving events, you just move along like myself when you go out there. Yes I have more experience than you but I love to learn from you when you post your pictures, I learn the valuable art in each individual not that he/she just came from P&S camera, it's the artinthat photographer even an amateur I want to learn, the respect of each other to exchange pictures even just a flower, a dog, a cat , a bird in the backyard, that's the beauty of this hobby, art , you can see that in the cival war thread between me and Neil, a wonderful guy to chit chat and enjoy each other pictures.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:35 PM   #7

The b&w pictures in camera has a tremendous advantage over color transfered to b&w. Their camera can't do as fast as the XTI, you shoot b&w in camera or you still have the option to shoot color and transfer back to b&w in pp, see you have two options at your disposal, theirs only have one option unless they want to spend time look for b&w feature deep in the menu.

You shoot one shot color switch back to b&w, show the picture in both styles to the model, she can see instantly with a wow reaction, I often show off that in those events I shot, people ask me for my business card on the spot, trust me people love b&w when you can show them the pic on the lcd, especially the large XTI lcd.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:45 PM   #8

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. Sun just went down so it's dark here now. Here are just a few of my favorites..... I just converted from raw to jpg and resized for posting...

Scott
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:05 PM   #9

Heh, Scott, are you cheating? You told me you don't know much about camera setting, how come your pictures look much better than mine? The dog and cat are awesome, the flower is saturated with deep color like slide film. We should start a new XTI thread here, let's call Neil over, that thread is getting 10 mi long, start something fresh here. Post more pictures we might end up to be the three Muskerteers.:-):-)
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:07 PM   #10

Attached Images