Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:38 AM   #1

Well, since there doesn't seem to be a "event photos" category, I guess I'll post these here in "other".

Art Basel Miami Beach is the largest, by far, art event in America. Including all of the side events, it will quickly become the largest in the world. It is an off-shoot of the Art Basel in Basel, France.

This year we hit up quite a few of the events, but by no means could we make all of them, even with taking Thursday & Friday off work. (My feet are still killing me.) I hauled around my Canon G9 everywhere, so I ended up with a lot of photos. I have included a little sampling below. If you get the urge, you can check the whole thing out in my gallery.

One of the first events we went to, and one of the nicest, the ArtPhotoExpo at the Surfcomber hotel.

Another fun party at a design outlet called Moooi.

Art Positions is this really cool art fair where they set up shipping containers and generally present avant garde contemporary art.

One of the coolest places we went on Thursday was called the Heist gallery. We immediately fell in love with it only to find out later that unfortunately it was only a temporary gallery, set up just for Art Basel week.

By far, the most amazing exhibit we saw the whole week was called Luminarium. It was this blow-up interactive exhibit of air, color, and sound. Made of a lightweight vinyl, you would walk through it and the various rooms and walls were colored differently. It was truly breathtaking, not to mention a challenge to your poor white balancer.

Friday night there was so much. One of our faves was the Scion (yes, the car) party in the rooftop penthouse of the Raleigh hotel. We even got to meet several of the represented artists and they signed our little picture book.

Saturday was beyond insane. One of the funnest exhibits was this rather risque balloon performance piece which included this strikingly beautiful artist.

One of the interesting aspects are these hotel art fairs that have begun springing up everywhere. A little boutique hotel will convert some or all of its rooms into mini-galleries and art galleries from all over the world will come and set up in them. There were at least half a dozen of them this year.

Well, I hope that wasn't too much of a little sample. There are tons more in the gallery. I did cull them somewhat, but they are pretty much unedited and kind of rough. I just don't have time to go through and fix them all up, but I hope they give you an impression of our big week of art. Enjoy!
coachjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links