Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Dec 24, 2007, 8:08 AM   #1

I own a Canon A620 and am trying desperately to get some pics of night shots but am unable to get the street light effect properly. I have adjusted apature and lens speed settings.but still not the pic I expect. It seems always the lightsare blurred or too much lighting for the overall pic. What do I ned to do to get that perfect early /late day low light pic with street light or building lights in the picture not the predominate image.I have gone to the night setting,but I do not want the flash as well I have adjusted my iso to 400 and still no better...Are there any websites I can find to help me with night shots.....PLEASE HELP AS I SEE ALOT OF GREAT NIGHT SHOTS THAT I CANNOT SEEM TO MASTER...........THANK FOR LISTENING Pat
postie109byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:23 AM   #2

wellcome to the site and merry christmas. as to your needs you can go to. http://www.outdoorphotographer.com they have alot of good info. check it out. i see you live in canada.. rick

:-)
oakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 4:28 PM   #3

postie109byrd wrote:
Quote:
I own a Canon A620 and am trying desperately to get some pics of night shots but am unable to get the street light effect properly. I have adjusted apature and lens speed settings.but still not the pic I expect. It seems always the lightsare blurred or too much lighting for the overall pic. What do I ned to do to get that perfect early /late day low light pic with street light or building lights in the picture not the predominate image.I have gone to the night setting,but I do not want the flash as well I have adjusted my iso to 400 and still no better...Are there any websites I can find to help me with night shots.....PLEASE HELP AS I SEE ALOT OF GREAT NIGHT SHOTS THAT I CANNOT SEEM TO MASTER...........THANK FOR LISTENING Pat
Some compact camera's are not really made for low light shooting

the Canon A620 only goes up to 400 ISO(senstivity)

although some good shots are still possible with the right expertise.

A tripod or means of steadyingand a high sensitive camera along with

some PP (post processing) to bring out the best in the shots is a good idea.:idea:

Some super ccd high sensitivity pocket cams are made by Fuji 'the F series'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FinePix_F10

..................:|...........musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:11 AM   #4
spy

I am not familiar with the a620 but I can help you understand what needs to be done to get this type of shot. If your camera has this ability then great if it can't then welcome to the dslr upgrade.

There are three things to night shots that are essential,

(1) a tripod and the camera's shutter set to go off with a timer so your not holding the camera and causing it to shake;

(2) exposure settings. The effect you've imagined is a photo which only features the light being the subject cast on the immediate area around it, NOT the photo completely exposed. You need the background and other areas to fade out into darkness to achieve what you've described. This is exposure and your camera needs to have the ability to adjust the exposure DOWN or darker or faster shutter.

(3) ISO works very well here in night shots as it's purpose here is - increase ISO and your highlights brighten, decrease and highlights soften or dim.

Aperature deals with clarity and depth of field (background blur) it also helps speed up or slow down a shutter but if the exposure and ISO's can't get my shutter where I want it I then adjust the aperature.

Hope this helps.

www.poetryofmotion.com
spy is offline   Reply With Quote