Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Critiques?

These shots are from my recent vacation and I would like to see what others think of them.

I've only just recently rediscovered the fun of photography!
ingram.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:42 AM   #2

great pics! maybe the last pic should have been zoomed in a bit more.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:09 AM   #3

The first pic is a little over exposed looking at it on my screen. But it's a decent photo. I bit of cropping would help on the left.

The 2nd photo is much better. However you should crop this one. You've placed the most important part of the subject dead centre and this is a 'no, no' 9 times out of 10 in photography. You should crop away just about all of the background and leave just a little horizon. The background doeasn't add anything to the shot i.e. the dark hills. Also think about cropping on the right a little. Of course zooming in further (if possible) would have helped.

kind regards,
Martin.
mpaul73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 8:23 AM   #4

In my humble personal opinion, the first one is very attractive, but holds hardly any artistic value. The second one however holds more artistic value. What mpaul wrote is right, be carefull when centering a subject in photo. Images can live up when using the magic 1/3 line; Divide the image in horizontal and vertical in 3 equal parts.
Place subject on either one of the cross points of third lines and voila increase of tension in image.

With a moving subject from left to right: Placing subject more to the left in image enhances the feel of speed. Placing the subject more near right border enhances feeling of stopping, narrow space.
Ofcourse these are just guidelines, which should also be rejected in some cases. See also http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Photog...u_Think_01.htm
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote