Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:13 PM   #101

This is mine.... note the strategic positioning of Naomi Watts to the right to allow all my desktop icons....lol..
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:26 PM   #102

My new one for november. I like to change them every month.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:31 AM   #103

Debian Squeeze. With Gnome Desktop.
Attached Images

corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:52 AM   #104

Is it really that long ago that I looked in here ...lol...Some really great desktop photos
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:25 PM   #105

I think we need to see everyones latest....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:04 PM   #106

The 'frame' can be used to display any image

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:32 PM   #107

Lizard photographed in Mexico. This type appear to run on their back legs when in a hurry!
Attached Images

Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:46 PM   #108

This has been my desktop background on 3 different computers. I did not take the picture, I am the guy driving the red car. Picture was taken in turn 3 at Summit Point Raceway.

hwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:24 PM   #109
Administrator

This thread has been around for a while. :-)

For example, it looks like my first post to this thread was over 6 years ago in 2008 here:

Post your desktop wallpaper

My next post to this thread was over 5 years ago in 2009 here:

Here's yet another one I made in 2009 here:

Here's yet another post (showing two different desktops with Linux on them) from over 4 years ago in 2010 here:

Here are the screen captures from that 2010 post to this thread (just linked to above), showing one screen capture from Linux Mint, and another from Mepis 8.5:

I wouldn't doubt that I've made some posts since 2010 with screen captures showing other desktops to the thread, too (as I haven't searched through all of this thread's pages yet). :-)

Anyway, now that it's 2014, below are some screen captures from not long ago showing my current desktop.

It's just the default OpenSUSE 13.1 Edu Li-f-e (Linux for Education) Wallpaper for this flavor of OpenSUSE 13.1. My desktop is setup in a multi-boot configuration with Win 8.1 and LInux on it right this minute, using OpenSUSE 13.1 Edu-Li-f-e, and MX14 (a community developed distribution using a Debian Stable base).

I also have other distributions installed inside of Virtual Machines, but I only have a few Operating Systems with dedicated hard drive partitions that I boot into (64 Bit Windows 8.1, 64 Bit OpenSUSE 13.1, and MX14 using a Debian Stable base with a PAE kernel right this minute).

I use the OpenSUSE 13.1 installation most of the time, and I've never bothered to change the Wallpaper from the default (as it works fine for me).

Basically, the lighter icon text color on a darker background is easy on my eyes (the contrast makes it much easier for me to see the text).

I'll use custom wallpaper from time to time. But, often, photos as wallpaper make it harder to read the icon text, etc. So, I prefer a setup with much higher contrast between the text color and background color (as with the darker background wallpaper I use with OpenSUSE 13.1 right now).

A newer 13.2 release of OpenSUSE is available now. But, I'll probably stick with 13.1, as it will be a long term support release (updates through November 2016) via what is known as the OpenSUSE Evergreen Project:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen

Here's the OpenSUSE 13.1 desktop as setup right this minute as my primary Operating System, using icons for some programs, a folder view of home (with one click access to folders setup for documents, photos, videos, downloads, etc.), and a weather widget showing 6 day forecast for my location).

Also, see some of the following screen captures with Lancelot (the menu system I use more often), although I also have an icon for the KDE Classic Menu available on the panel (as I don't like the new Kickoff Style menu).

Personally, I prefer the KDE desktop (see https://www.kde.org/ for more info), compared to the other desktops available for Linux (Gnome, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXDE, Unity, etc.) as KDE is far more configurable compared to the other popular choices. I can also select the Gnome Desktop when I boot into my OpenSUSE 13.1 config (as I have both KDE and Gnome installed). But, I prefer the KDE desktop (although others may prefer other desktops instead).

In any event, Linux gives you lots of choices, with a wide variety of desktops offering very different "looks and feels". So, you can't judge Linux based on how a specific distribution works and looks.

Click on any image to see a larger version of it:

Lancelot (the menu system you'll see in the following screen captures) is not installed in OpenSUSE by default. But, I always install it myself with KDE desktops (when installing Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, Debian, etc.) instead of the KDE default menu systems. Lancelot is in the software repositories for many distros if you don't see it as an available Plasma Widget (I just used YAST to get it from the OpenSUSE repositories for the 13.1 install).

The Lancelot Menu comes up if I click on the second Icon in the panel (the left icon is for the simple KDE Classic Style Menu). It's nice in that it defaults to showing applications with Favorites you can edit (and you can also "mouse over" other choices like Computer, etc.)

So, if you keep apps you use more often as Favorites, you have very fast and easy access to them via Lancelot's default menu that you see below, with no "drilling down" into categories needed. Note that it's fully resizable, too (just grab the top right corner and resize it as desired).

Again, click on one of the embedded images to see a larger version of it.

But, if you do want to "drill down" into the menu categories to start something you don't have under Favorites (as shown in the last screen capture), you'll see both the program name and the description whenever you "mouse over" an entry.

For example, note where the description is shown under DarkTable when I go into the All Applications>Graphics>Photography menu section (because I have my mouse pointed at it) Again, just click on one of the embedded images to see a larger version. Of course, you can simply start typing the name of a program in the search box to get to it, without any need to use the menu categories, too.

Here's what I see if I "mouse over" the Computer choice on the left. I see the same "Places" I have setup in Dolphin (the file manager I use), as well as the "Devices" I have setup (basically, an icon for each partition on my internal drives). If I "mouse over" one of them, I can see the descriptions, as in the Mount Point (NTFS Shared) for the partition on the top right (and I can click on it to open it in Dolphin).

Again, click on an embedded image in this post to see a larger version of it.

Also note the other Icons on the Left for Documents, etc.

It's nice in that the Documents icon gives you recently updated programs, with recently accessed files on the right (including programs, docs, photos, etc.) that you can click on.

The Search Feature is the best I've ever used, too (where you can click on pages of options in the configuration for it for what it searches through including programs, descriptions, settings, metadata from files of various types, bookmarks and much more than can be returned in search results).

Then, as soon as you type the first letter in the search bar, it starts returning results.

You can even let it search through wikipedia pages, youtube videos and much more if you want to enable those options. It's really nice for finding programs, files, settings, bookmarks, etc.

Basically, the only time I need to boot into 64 Bit Win 8.1 on this machine is to test manufacturer supplied software that requires Windows, or to test reported problems with Internet Explorer.

For everything else, Linux handles my needs (with internet browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Opera; LibreOffice for docs and spreadsheets, apps like showFoto, Gwenview and Corel AfterShot Pro for image management/browsing/raw conversion, VLC for Media Playback, Thunderbird for e-mail, Amarok for Music, etc. etc. etc.

There are *many* very good applications available for Linux now. I also have some Windows programs setup using Virtual Drive configurations with Wine that I can easily run from within Linux, too. So, I rarely need to boot into my Windows 8.1 installation for anything (basically, only when I need to test reported forums problems with newer versions of Internet Explorer, or when I want to test camera manufacturer supplied software for Windows).

Plus, apps under my OpenSUSE 13.1 configuration are far more responsive than they are using Windows 8.1. It's almost like I'm using a much newer generation processor the difference is so great when I change between the Operating Systems (with Windows 8.1 feeling slower in comparison). Windows 8.1 boot time is great (Microsoft did a super job in that area, with very fast boot times with their latest Windows releases).

But, 64 Bit Windows 8.1 still feels slow in comparison to 64 Bit OpenSUSE 13.1 when running applications (at least on my current hardware, which is a last generation XPS 8500 desktop with a Core i7 3770 in it with plenty of memory (versus a newer generation XPS 8700 using newer CPUs like the Core i7 4790), using a Samsung 830 series SSD for the Operating Systems and Programs; with 7200rpm physical drives for photos, docs, videos, downloads, etc.

Of course, if you were not using different Operating Systems, Win 8.1 would probably feel very fast, as it's a pretty decent Operating System overall, although I do use the free Classic Shell with it because I don't like the new style start screens and tile based menus, whereas using Classic Shell with Win 8.x allows me to bypass the new style start screens and have a more traditional style menu again.

Hopefully, Microsoft will finally get it right with the upcoming Windows 10 release, so that some of us don't feel the need to use third party menu launchers, etc. to get around the drawbacks of the Win 8.x User Interface when using a more traditional display, keyboard, and mouse (versus a touch type system that the current Win 8.x UI is more optimized for).

Anyway, if you are setup like I am, it's very obvious how much more responsive applications are when moving from 64 Bit Win 8.1 to 64 Bit OpenSUSE 13.1 on hardware like I'm using (Win 8.x is very obviously slower when I switch between those Operating Systems).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:33 AM   #110

Interesting screen layouts and backgrounds, nice to see this thread still going
musket is offline   Reply With Quote