Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:26 PM   #71

Some really nice wallpaper posted since I last looked in here thanks for sharing
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:59 AM   #72

My wife took this with her Nikon P90.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 4:06 PM   #73
Administrator

New Desktop for an older gentlemen (retired minister in his 80s, that goes to church with my wife). I set up his laptop using Windows Vista (a real *dog*), Linux Mint 8 (see http://www.linuxmint.com for info), and SimplyMEPIS 8.5.03 (see http://www.mepis.org for info) in a triple boot config (pick the OS you want to boot into when restarting the computer).

Here's a downsized screen capturing showing the Mepis 8.5 desktop that I have as the default boot choice now. I put icons for most of what he probably needs on the desktop (HP Printer utilities since he's using an HP printer; Adobe Acrobat Reader for .pdf files; Firefox for Web Browsing; VLC for media playing; Picasa for basic image browsing and editing; KMyMoney for keeping track of finances; Synaptic for adding software (with many thousands of choices available with a mouse click or two); BibleTime (with multiple Bibles installed for Bible Study); K3B (which allows you to easily burn CDs and DVDs); OpenOffice.org for docs, spreadsheets, etc. (since it's free and allows you to read and write to MS Office files).

It's amazing how much faster a Linux Distro like SimplyMEPIS 8.5 is compared to MS Windows on this laptop (dramatic difference in boot times, program load times, and general performance). It's a Sony NS140E with an Intel Core 2 Duo with 3GB of memory. The Wallpaper is the default Wallpaper that is preinstalled with Mepis 8.5.03. I added the application shortcuts after installing some of the programs, clock (CleanClock) and weather applet (yaWP).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 4:32 PM   #74
Administrator

Are you not seeing the photo embedded in my last post?

If not, I can attach it versus using a link (it's using a link at pbase.com right now).
Old May 4, 2010, 4:36 PM   #75

He, he! I see it now and deleted my post Jim. Just a joke.
I use a boring dark blue-green background.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 4:47 PM   #76
Administrator

Yep... I use a boring background on most of my desktops, too. I prefer the SimplyMEPIS wallpapers to most though (they are dark enough so that you can see the icon text OK, without being too boring). I'm a bit "picky" on how icon text looks on a desktop (as it's just too hard to read with many images that are used for Wallpaper).
Old May 4, 2010, 5:16 PM   #77
Administrator

For comparison purposes, here's the Linux Mint 8 desktop I have setup on this same laptop (using most of the same applications). I'll let him use both for a while to figure out which one is easier. Both SimplyMEPIS 8.5 and Linux Mint 8 are *huge* improvements compared to Vista (already installed on this PC).

I spent a bit of time over the weekend messing around with this laptop, removing spyware and viruses that multiple products including Trend Micro and SuperAntiSpyware missed in his Vista install (thankfully Malwarebytes found them), updating it with patches and service packs, etc.). He's not very PC literate. So, having a choice of Windows and Linux distros should make it easier on him (since the Linux distros are *much* faster than Windows, without the malware issues).

Here's the Mepis 8.5 desktop again:

Old May 4, 2010, 7:18 PM   #78

Here´s mine for the moment. A picture I took of my wife.

DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 8:12 PM   #79

Heres mine........

dave
Attached Images

Last edited by Photo 5; May 4, 2010 at 8:16 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 3:24 PM   #80

Some really super desktop backgrounds posted since I last looked here
musket is offline   Reply With Quote