Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jul 30, 2002, 3:24 PM   #1

Default Bridging the Rhine: Arial Shot

This is a shot of the newest bridge over the Rhine, taken from the air right after take-off from Düsseldorf. Note the tunnel in the upper left. That is there solely to take the autobahn under the surrounding farmland. It surfaces about half a mile from there.

The impression I got from this bridge was that the design was to gently lift the autobahn over the Rhine, then tuck it under the farmland to have it emerge a mile later free and clear. The suspension architecture used in the two struts that support the spans is very common in Germany. It is extremely efficient from both a cost and an engineering point of view.

A link to a few other bridge shots I've taken in Germany is <a href="http://www.chezjag.net/bridges/bridges.htm" target=_new>here</a>.

[Edited on 7-31-2002 by JAGirard]

[Edited on 7-31-2002 by JAGirard]
JAGirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:22 PM   #2

Thats a great follow-up photo from the previous post of the bridge. I like the arial one more, just personal preference. Looks like a nice drive(qiuck drive), the autobahn intrigues me, love to drive.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:16 PM   #3

When we rode our bicycles over this bridge, up that spiral on the upper left, along the thin strand over the Rhine, and off the bridge on the other end, that you can't see in this photo, I was amazed by how fast the traffic on the bridge was flying by us. This is an Autobahn. While speeds are regulated in certain areas, contrary to popular belief, these cars were flying by at over 100mph.

So we're there overlooking the middle of the river, with these slow barges chugging under the bridge, cars at our back screaming by, planes taking off from Düsseldorf International Airport flying overhead, and us ... on our bikes. It was quite the contrast in transportation and speed.
JAGirard is offline   Reply With Quote