Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:43 PM   #1

Default My Bass Guitar

This is my bass guitar. I hope this works...

(Yeah, that's my system dynamics book in the background, it snuck in there while I wasn't looking)

Pick Guard, string mute, and Pickups

The first pic is out of focus, but I keep coming back to look at it for some reason. Pics were taken with a Canon S400. Give me some comments and suggestions, I'm a total n00b at photography (never even had a film camera before).

-Lemur 6
13mur 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 2:22 AM   #2

Your pictures aren't appearing, and I get error messages when I copy and paste the URLs.

I'd like to see them; I play bass, too.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:26 AM   #3

Beautifull bass you got there.
I like the first one best, these angled shots always look so cool. There are 2 points of critique; with the first photo I would have set the center of sharpness on the bridge. If possible try with different apperture settings (depth of field: a low apperture number will give less DOF and a larger will increase it)
Secondly on the photo the blue lining of the basscase conflicts with the blue bass. Maybe try another shot with good old black or white underground?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:33 AM   #4

Hi
Nice shots!
Quote:
The first pic is out of focus
No its not. It's the Depth of fields, that's wrong. Use a smaller F.stop (higher F.number) to optain more DOF.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 3:47 PM   #5

Default Re: My Bass Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mur 6
(Yeah, that's my system dynamics book in the background, it snuck in there while I wasn't looking)
Maaaaan, tell me about it..... those system dynamics books get everywhere.... I opened up my refridgerator and there was mine munching away at my stash of expensive imported Belgium chocolates... :shock:

Apart from that, the guitar strings make a path that leads the eyes...and our eyes lead downward towards that background, and then there is nothing there to see. (apart from a smiling system dynamics book which is very hard to make out) I would sugest placing the guitar in front of a music stand or something which relates, or somehow takes us somewhere....or maybe even some blurred colours that represent the music the guitar could have played....or maybe just black, as in the guitar leading us into the unknown ...get what I mean? You can
tell us a story with your photograph, you can make your photograph play a song.
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 7:47 PM   #6

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. Originally I was going to put the guitar on a white sheet, but I couldn't find any fresh ones in my drawers and the ones on my bed were kinda dusty.

Now there's the problem with this camera I have, it's a point-shooter (canon S400), so I can't really change the F-stop manually (does it automatically for me), but are there any good tricks to "trick" the camera into using a small F-stop? Would a brighter room do the trick? I think there was an exposure lock option somewhere in the menus... must go fiddle some more...

-Lemur 6
Old Oct 24, 2003, 7:52 PM   #7

Nice bass 13mur 6 !
And a nice subject !

You have made me desire to go and fetch my Fender Stratocaster imitation from my garage and take some shots

Keep on shooting at that subject : It's wonderful.

Some suggestions :
- avoid direct lights : they can be seen to interfere in the second shot : the diagonal white line starting from the guarded pickup.
- if u cannot control aperture try to take the shot at a greater distance and use the zoom : DOF should increase, is it so Klaus ?

And ,yes, playing music is good to relief the brain from system dynamics :lol:
Best wishes for your studies (by YAE : Yet Another Engineer)
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 1:41 AM   #8

sergio.

Quote:
if u cannot control aperture try to take the shot at a greater distance and use the zoom : DOF should increase, is it so Klaus ?
Normally it's the other way around. Zooming will make the DOF smaller.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 7:35 AM   #9

Some p&s cameras can be fooled around. Ofcourse with more light the camera could (but not guaranteed) decide it is time to crank up the Aperture numbers, smaller apperture instead of speed. However more light means more light interference on the bass. (and actual for that reason I would advice a black underground. Borrow your local goths household textile :-)

You may help the camera with setting its priorities straight by selecting lanscape mode. It may or may not work with your camera.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:40 PM   #10

Gosh, this is a lot harder than I originally thought. I tried the landscape mode and it had a hard time focusing, I think the best DOF I got was with using macro mode. I also found that it's REAALLLY hard to prevent unwanted reflections, but here's a recent pic I've been working on (slightly photoshoped for the background):

(Grr... my reflection came out on the bridge, and in the full size pic, the ceiling is visible on the pick guard, mebbe I'll stick a whole lot of sheet music up there for the next photo).

Heh, there's a lil smudge on the bottom, but I'm gettin' to point where I'm almost proud of my pics. How would using the flash help for this kinda pic? Seems like it makes things darker every time I use it.

More to come...

-Lemur 6