Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jul 31, 2002, 12:40 AM   #1

Default Airshow - Blue Angels - Golden Knights - Page Up Now...

Hi Guys,
For those who wanted to see the airshow shots from Loveland, Colorado - I finally got the page up tonight....

There are comments below some of the images - scroll down if you can't see them..

Lin

http://lin-evans.org/airshow2/airshow2.htm

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 4:35 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2002, 7:46 PM   #2

You got alot of exciting pix. It looks like you had great fun. It amazes me that our cameras and lenses can capture these planes.

One of your shots has a super blue sky against ultra white smoke. Did you use a polarizer, or is it because of the particular exposure?

We're headed to Maine and another antique airshow at Owls Head. Hope to bring back some pix. Yours give me a standard to go for...
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 8:44 PM   #3

Your pics are really good !
Great job , i love them !
Did you do anything to them or are they straight from the camera?
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:41 PM   #4

Default Wow!

Lin,

Those are some great shots!

Digital Don

just plane pictures
Digital Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 2:45 AM   #5

Spectacular photography, Lin! I have been to many airshows, and I can't pick a favorite shot out of your group. Inverted P-51 Mustang, the Blue Angels in their F/A 18's, and that Mig...and even the somewhat candid shots of the Golden Eagles, and of some of the older planes...they all came out terrific!

Thanks for bringing back a lot of very cool memories! Really nice job!

I got that same 'blown away' feeling by looking at your shots as I do when I see those planes fly live.
JAGirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:17 AM   #6

Hi Guys & Gals,
Thank's! Nanc, they have all had levels set in PhotoShop and most have had a round of UltraSharpen Pro applied because I shoot without internal firmware sharpening.

Walter, probably the high contrast differential was a result of a combination of leveling and the exposure - I didn't use any filters on the 100-400. The conditions at the show went from intense sun, reasonably clear with scattered clouds and deep blue sky in the early morning (most of the prop planes) to heavy overcast with nearly all grey/white skys in the afternoon with the Blue Angels. Unfortunately many of their shots required spot metering because I was shooting into the sun. This has a tendency to exacerbate the backlighting to the point of extreme overexposure, but it's either that or a shadow for the plane with a correctly exposed sky - not an ideal situation for sure. I would love to shoot the Blue Angels against a great blue sky in the morning with them West of the camera, but the airshow people keep the crowd hanging around by saving the best for last. Unfortunately at the Loveland Airport, the seating area (mostly just a dirt field) faces West and this makes shooting the best part of the show really tricky. I think this is something the photographer needs to look into before going to an airshow - that is whether or not the conditions are going to be favorable for the subject material.

Best regards,

Lin

P.S. I decided it might be easier to navigate these with a "frames" approach, so I duplicated the page with another format which might be easier to some. Click the link below to be able to see both the thumbnails and images without flipping back and forth.....

http://204.42.233.244/airshow2/airshow2.htm

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by Lin Evans]
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:58 PM   #7

WOW, nice collection, nice site layout (the last one). You realy nailed the formation shots. F96b4964 is a cool shot (upright/upside down), they blend together nicely.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:38 PM   #8

What a show, Lin! Those are some mighty fine shots. I was going to try to get some this weekend when the Blue Angels are here for our annual Seattle SeaFair. But my daughter has a soccer tournament all weekend. Now I don't need to as yours far exceed anything I could hope to capture.
MargSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:21 PM   #9

Default Up, up and away!

Lin,

Those are wonderful photos. Thank-you for sharing them. I haven't seen The Blue Angels in years.

It brings back so many memories of seeing The Blue Angels fly over our home in Orange County, CA. Seeing them do their formations and hearing them--was so great!!--until they closed our 2 local bases (The "Lighter Than Air" Tustin Marine Base and the El Toro Marine Base).

Thanks again for bringing back warm fuzzy memories!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote