Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Nov 2, 2003, 1:28 PM   #1

Default Some striking images

Some weird weather has spawned a few thunderstorms in the last few days. Ahhhhhh the magic of digital cameras!! I took the oportunity to take pictures of two of them, something I never dreamed of with film photography (I always used simple point-and-shoot cameras, my digital is the first one to offer some more controls while still being P&S). Out of more than 200 pictures only these ones came out good enough to show.

This is the first time I post pictures here. The pictures lost some quality due to resizing down to 640x426. Darn wires.... :evil:

These were taken Oct-30 after sunset.

The most striking of all (pun intended) is this one taken last night looking in a different direction to another thunderstorm.

Darn wires... :evil: One of them carries my Internet connection... :lol: The yellow color in the structures in the sides come from street lighting captured by the long exposure. The original unresized image show some more faint bolts between clouds barely visible here.

Although this lightning strike looks pretty close, the thunderstorm was at a safe distance several miles away - the thunder took a while to reach my location.

Some more images of the same thunderstorm.

These pictures were taken with a Kodak DX4330 camera set to landscape mode and the exposure set to the maximum four seconds. I had the camera in one of these little tripods, placed in a sturdy surface. I did not use the self timer (10 seconds is an eternity in a thunderstorm) but took them by hand and not removing my finger from the shutter button durign the shot to avoid shaking the camera.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:05 AM   #2

Fantastic shots. Just clone out those nasty wires. I think wires drive most of us crazy.

Quote:
Out of more than 200 pictures only these ones came out good enough to show.
Even the most professional photographers take a huge number of pictures, choosing only a few to print. With a difficult subject such as you had, the percentage of photos that came out is just fine.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 6:38 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments.

I was expecting someone to say something about the sixth picture. Every person I have shown that picture say that it looks kind of "spooky" with the dark sky and the lightning bolts that look like hands coming out of the tree. :lol:
Old Nov 5, 2003, 4:18 AM   #4

hahahah that's a lot out of 200!!

I got 3 good one this summer :P

I really like them
really the hit...
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 5:15 PM   #5

Great shots
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 6:59 PM   #6

Lightning photos are not easy to take. Very good!

I don't like wires in a sunset, but I can live with them in lightning photos. The trees and wires are just part of the photo.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 7:41 PM   #7

Thans for all your comments.

In the last four pictures I don't mind the pole and power lines as they actually kind of belong to the scenery, but the two telephone wires across the picture are just terrible. I will try cloning them out.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 3:40 AM   #8

Outstanding shots!
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:22 AM   #9

Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:23 AM   #10

I got those three last summer...
(Blanding - Utah)