Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Nov 13, 2003, 8:14 PM   #1

Default Fish market at 5pm

A typical 'wet' market in HK during the 'rush' hour for moms' in Hong Kong.

Hope you like it.

Pitt
yesir5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:48 AM   #2

You need to crop so that the huge post isn't directly in the middle and so that the eye is led naturally to a center of interest, which in this case needs to be a person.

Perhaps someone else can make cropping suggestions. (I'm full of opinions this morning and not much else. )
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:16 AM   #3

yesir, though I appreciate your search for architectural simmetry, this is a shot about people.
And this simmetry distracts from the main subject : is it the simmetric ceiling or people in queue waiting to be served ?

A little asimmetry moves the eye and makes the shot much more intersting and targeted to what is supposed to be the main subject.

Here's my suggestion for an alternative cut :

BTW : wonderful black and white !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:30 AM   #4

And here's another suggestion ( really a great shot yesir !) :

Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:33 PM   #5

I wonder: There's an amusing little boy who's seen in front of the post. What would happen if Sergio's crop were made more extreme and the crop on the right was brought nearly to the edge of the woman in the right foreground? Wouldn't it tend to accentuate the little boy, making him the center of interest?
Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
I wonder: There's an amusing little boy who's seen in front of the post. What would happen if Sergio's crop were made more extreme and the crop on the right was brought nearly to the edge of the woman in the right foreground? Wouldn't it tend to accentuate the little boy, making him the center of interest?
Well, I noticed that wonderful boy staring (i think) at the photographer.
This is the reason why I made the second crop : to have him in rule of thirds position.
I don't think cropping the shot right in front of the direction where that woman is looking to is a good idea : I have tried and I have felt a sense of cut , like I was missing something to the right !
Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:41 PM   #7

Well, darn it, I'm still not happy. I think it could be cropped in on the left so the child is farther left, thus creating an opposition of placement and size between him and the woman on the right. I should really show rather than tell, but I'm being lazy on a Friday night.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:32 PM   #8

Default Nice Crop!!! thx!

Thank you all for the suggestion and tips..

I love brtsergio's first crop of the picture as it's more pleasing to my eyes. The crop brtsergio did reminds me why I took this photo.. it's the people and the stands the focal point of the scene, not just the whole environment... wow...

Thanks....thanks!!!

Pitt
yesir5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:15 AM   #9

I thought the first crop of taking off headroom was perfect. I like that the center point of the shot takes me right back to the boy, who is the only one looking forward. Interests me somehow.

Was that the focus?
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:39 PM   #10

I like the first picture best. It gives an impression of size and space that feels more like Hong Kong.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote