Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:15 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default Wooden Shed in Tudor Park

I took this picture yesterday of a tool shed in "Tudor City Greens", a small privately-owned and not-for-profit park on 42nd and First, located almost right across the UN building.

The wooden shed is that thing in the corner that I think would draw any photography enthusiast toward it -- at least it did to me.

I took a bracket of shots and used HDR. I wanted to show more of the leaves on the roof but was simply too high for me.

Thoughts, comments, and critiques are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Wonderful shot.

Two critiques:

The blue bag is oversaturated

The shed would be more effective if it wasn't so centered.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

So let me get this straight. This is a half way house for someone coming from Riker's Island?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Thanks a lot for the critiques and compliments, Chato!

I agree with the blue over-saturation. I reduced saturation on the blue bag. I think I did a pretty good job but I'm my own worst critique so, to all, please feel free to critique.

I also put the shed off-center by cropping. I'm thinking I, the photographer, know the shed's three dimensional because I saw it, but to the viewer it might seem two dimensional. It might be better if I had taken the picture at a slight angle.


Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 31, 2009 at 8:24 PM. Reason: added "and compliments"...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
So let me get this straight. This is a half way house for someone coming from Riker's Island?
Actually, it's my new apartment. My landlord just doubled the rent, and I found this place. vvcarpio is simply putting my new place in a good light.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
So let me get this straight. This is a half way house for someone coming from Riker's Island?
It's padlocked and the hinges are of the heavy duty kind so I guess so !
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

Yes I noticed the hinges are on the outside. This means its meant to keep something in rather than keep something out. Your final version is much better. I would suggest that you crop the left side off so that the overturned green bin is gone. Ah its easier to show.
Attached Images
 
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks a lot for the critiques and compliments, Chato!

I agree with the blue over-saturation. I reduced saturation on the blue bag. I think I did a pretty good job but I'm my own worst critique so, to all, please feel free to critique.

I also put the shed off-center by cropping. I'm thinking I, the photographer, know the shed's three dimensional because I saw it, but to the viewer it might seem two dimensional. It might be better if I had taken the picture at a slight angle.

Looks good to me, when can I move in?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Yes I noticed the hinges are on the outside. This means its meant to keep something in rather than keep something out. Your final version is much better. I would suggest that you crop the left side off so that the overturned green bin is gone. Ah its easier to show.
"Keep something in" like maybe a magician? Maybe "Dave" is really David Blaine that's why he wants to move in .

Thanks for the edit! I agree it looks much better now.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:31 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Looks good to me, when can I move in?

Dave
As soon as I add some more padlocks !
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:39 AM.