Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default Moon HDR

I know it's just another moon shot. I'm just thrilled to find out I can do this kind of shot (or anyone for that matter) with stuff I already have:

300mm zoom
Dynamic Photo HDR
graphics program to sharpen and increase/decrease contrast and brightness

A similar photo floored me when my son and I went to the Hayden Planetarium in NYC about two months ago and have since been trying to mimic it unsuccessfully. I think I deserve a Merit Badge...

Thank you for looking!

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Acapulco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 58 North 11 Long
Posts: 541
Default

I agree that this is an excellent shot of the moon, it's in fact brilliant.
300mm zoom.. I do want that
__________________
Nikon D300

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Thanks a lot, Acapulco!

The Sony 300mm lens I used actually isn't the greatest according to TCav -- just about any other brand is better is the impression I get -- so I guess any 300mm lens will do .
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

I have more detailed shots, taken with an 800mm lens. But I do not have better shots.

For 300mm this is a great moon shot.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I have more detailed shots, taken with an 800mm lens. But I do not have better shots.

For 300mm this is a great moon shot.

Dave
Thanks Dave!

With your moon shot, maybe you didn't do HDR?

Then again, even with HDR the generated image wasn't anything like the one I posted that I wondered if that was the best it can do.

So I loaded the HDR-generated image into Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Editor (such a long name...) to adjust shadows, midtones, and highlights and slid saturation all the way down to zero (to make it B&W). I then ran the sharpen tool once. Still not content I shrunk it a little to make it look sharper still.

Below is the original middle exposure photo taken by my camera:



I actually re-did the steps above against this image as I type, minus the HDR part. I think I managed to come very close to the one I posted. Hmm, HDR helps but maybe isn't even necessary...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks Dave!

With your moon shot, maybe you didn't do HDR?

Then again, even with HDR the generated image wasn't anything like the one I posted that I wondered if that was the best it can do.

So I loaded the HDR-generated image into Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Editor (such a long name...) to adjust shadows, midtones, and highlights and slid saturation all the way down to zero (to make it B&W). I then ran the sharpen tool once. Still not content I shrunk it a little to make it look sharper still.

Below is the original middle exposure photo taken by my camera:

I actually re-did the steps above against this image as I type, minus the HDR part. I think I managed to come very close to the one I posted. Hmm, HDR helps but maybe isn't even necessary...
I really don't see HDR as being necessary for a moon shot. Any modern digital camera has the dynamic range for such a shot - Why HDR?

But I really like you shot. Here's one of mine which will show you why I like Your shot so much.





Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

People I show my moon shot to say things like "That's excellent, dude!", "Wow. That's awesome," "brilliant" (thanks, Acapulco ), or some other variation and sometimes ask how I did it. Now I find myself saying the same -- wow that's awesome!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
People I show my moon shot to say things like "That's excellent, dude!", "Wow. That's awesome," "brilliant" (thanks, Acapulco ), or some other variation and sometimes ask how I did it. Now I find myself saying the same -- wow that's awesome!
With all due respect, I believe yours to be the better photograph.

Mine has more detail because it has almost three times the reach of your lens. I DO have a 300mm lens, and never got anything even half as good as your shot.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Rob_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bowt'n Uk
Posts: 183
Default

Excellent shots, it isnt as easy as some think

This is as good as i can get with my 300mm

__________________
www.robs-photography.com

My flickr
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_W View Post
Excellent shots, it isnt as easy as some think

This is as good as i can get with my 300mm
Not as good as vvcarpio, but a superb shot for 300mm.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:56 AM.