Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:06 PM   #11

Well its just that everything is relative. Everyone in the jeep is moving at the same speed relative to its surroundings. If you pan with the jeep then everything connected with the jeep should be equally sharp as the jeep. If it bounces up and forward then everything should be the same. What you have done is outstanding in my view if what is in focus and blur free is what you were after. Id say it was so a job well done.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. s. pershing View Post
those are some, interesting shots!
Thanks, e. s. pershing! I'm glad you liked them.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Well its just that everything is relative. Everyone in the jeep is moving at the same speed relative to its surroundings. If you pan with the jeep then everything connected with the jeep should be equally sharp as the jeep. If it bounces up and forward then everything should be the same. What you have done is outstanding in my view if what is in focus and blur free is what you were after. Id say it was so a job well done.
Thanks again, Bynx! I like panning I don't exactly know why. Maybe because it's similar to bokeh which I also like (and tend to overdo ).
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks again, Bynx! I like panning I don't exactly know why. Maybe because it's similar to bokeh which I also like (and tend to overdo ).
The guy in the right front seat decided to twist his body, and wave his hands just at the moment you shot - Which is why he's a bit blurry...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
The guy in the right front seat decided to twist his body, and wave his hands just at the moment you shot - Which is why he's a bit blurry...

Dave
That is understandable that the waving hand is moving in a direction other than the vehicle. But as indicated by the green lines I put on, the vehicle and thus all the occupants are moving forward and up as if the jeep hit a bump. The licence plate, the red tail lights, all indicate this movement. But the 3 guys heads and that gun is not showing that same movement. It bugs me why I cant understand what is going on here. I havent done enough pan shooting to have any experience with it so if anyone knows some law of movement please explain.
Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:47 AM   #16

Quote:
That is understandable that the waving hand is moving in a direction other than the vehicle. But as indicated by the green lines I put on, the vehicle and thus all the occupants are moving forward and up as if the jeep hit a bump. The licence plate, the red tail lights, all indicate this movement. But the 3 guys heads and that gun is not showing that same movement. It bugs me why I cant understand what is going on here. I havent done enough pan shooting to have any experience with it so if anyone knows some law of movement please explain.
Springs and shocks...

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Springs and shocks...

Dave
Exactly and the guys are a part of the body which is moving in the direction of my green lines. So why doesnt the people and gun which is also fixed to the body all have the same blurry motion as the licence plates or the tail lights? One word answers are fine if they explain it rather than stating the obvious.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Springs and shocks...

Dave
Exactly and the guys are a part of the body which is moving in the direction of my green lines. So why doesnt the people and gun which is also fixed to the body all have the same blurry motion as the licence plates or the tail lights? One word answers are fine if they explain it rather than stating the obvious. If I went out to try to shoot pics like the couple in question I dont know where to start. Perhaps just shooting a moving vehicle will do this automatically but it doesnt explain to my why>
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Exactly and the guys are a part of the body which is moving in the direction of my green lines. So why doesnt the people and gun which is also fixed to the body all have the same blurry motion as the licence plates or the tail lights? One word answers are fine if they explain it rather than stating the obvious. If I went out to try to shoot pics like the couple in question I dont know where to start. Perhaps just shooting a moving vehicle will do this automatically but it doesnt explain to my why>
Think of it as a see-saw. While a see-saw is one unit, that part which is closer to the center is moving at a relatively slower speed.

You don't buy this? Hmm? Perhaps it needs some modification - But in some manner, that's what's going on.

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:56 PM   #20

If you photograph your hand by panning as it swings up and all your fingers are slightly blurry except for the thumb, how do you explain that?