Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:31 PM   #1

Default Parade Panning Shots

I thought a parade would be slow moving enough to practice my panning. Many still came out blurred -- these are the clearer ones -- that I had to use the sharpen tool on three (can you tell which ones?).

I basically set the camera on "A"perture priority then slid the dial to a value (any value -- I think F8 or F11) that would give me 1/8 speed which is slow enough to blur the background and the moving subject clear as long as I follow it with my aim while I shoot. Thank you for looking.

Judging from the pictures I took, I think I could have settled for a faster-than-1/8 which would result in less blur but at least clearer subject...

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:10 PM   #2

1/8 is really slow, but then again their not moving very fast. I did you did pretty well for shooting at that speed!!!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:35 PM   #3

For the most part they are not bad shots. There are a couple really good ones I like a lot. #3 and #8.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
1/8 is really slow, but then again their not moving very fast. I did you did pretty well for shooting at that speed!!!

Dave
Yes, I agree about 1/8 too slow so I'll try higher next time.

A friend of mine (also into photography but not at steves-digicams) asked why I was shooting at Aperture instead of Shutter priority.

I never thought to ask other than it was suggested here. But I'm guessing, a moving subject is hard to keep in-focus so a high aperture like F11 would give greater depth-of-field. That, plus the blur I want.

Thanks!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Nov 12, 2009 at 7:08 AM. Reason: Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
For the most part they are not bad shots. There are a couple really good ones I like a lot. #3 and #8.
Thanks, Bynx!

I actually had the man's head (#3) in my crosshairs (er, that little square in the center of the viewfinder) the whole time so I'll take the credit .

For #8, the first 3 shots of the Rat Patrol jeep were blurred and the 4th is the one I posted so I guess that was a 1-out-of-4 shot which would make it fall under the realm of "luck"...

Last edited by vvcarpio; Nov 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM. Reason: Added "make it"
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:35 PM   #6

I keep looking at the two pics in question and I cant understand them. How are you able to get such a small portion of the frame looking normal while the rest in in motion? Like the bugler in front. From elbow up its fine but all the rest of the pic is moving. The rat patrol shot has the gun and the guy in back's head looking normal while everything else is in motion. However it was done it was done well. They are interesting shots that I enjoy looking at over and over.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Yes, I agree about 1/8 too slow so I'll try higher next time.
Let me add an addendum to my remarks. Perhaps 1/8 is NOT to slow. As Bynx points out, these are interesting shots. If you're prepared to spend six months working really hard at this, you'll have a unique technique, which is obviously worth while. Once you have it down, it will be no big deal to use it over and over again.

May I suggest trying shutter priority as a way to achieve consistancy?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I keep looking at the two pics in question and I cant understand them. How are you able to get such a small portion of the frame looking normal while the rest in in motion? Like the bugler in front. From elbow up its fine but all the rest of the pic is moving. The rat patrol shot has the gun and the guy in back's head looking normal while everything else is in motion. However it was done it was done well. They are interesting shots that I enjoy looking at over and over.
To be honest I don't know either. I always try to aim at the head of the person or the object I am shooting while panning. I thought maybe the surrounding blur was a result of pitch, yaw, and roll (I read about p,y, & r in the Dynamic Photo HDR manual) meaning my camera may have been rolling sideways or other while I was panning. But the machine gun turret remained blur-free as well as the man's face and they were significantly far apart. The only pp I did was to run Microsoft Digital Image Suite's sharpen tool once. I wish I knew the answer so I can practice and maybe perfect it.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Let me add an addendum to my remarks. Perhaps 1/8 is NOT to slow. As Bynx points out, these are interesting shots. If you're prepared to spend six months working really hard at this, you'll have a unique technique, which is obviously worth while. Once you have it down, it will be no big deal to use it over and over again.

May I suggest trying shutter priority as a way to achieve consistancy?

Dave
Yes, I will try shutter priority next time. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:29 PM   #10

those are some, interesting shots!
e. s. pershing is offline   Reply With Quote