Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:45 AM   #1

Default Awesome Street Mural

These three images do NOT do justice to this street mural. It's located at 104th Street and Lexinton Avenue in New York City.

There are many fine murals on buildings in New York, but I've never seen one as good as this.

Here are three images of the mural...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:16 AM   #2

Amazing place, Chato!
What a mural. Wonderful scenes, spread across this mighty wall. With some clever perspective tricks added, making this a place to explore. I specially like the hand of the hidden Domino-player, looking at his 'hand'!

It really looks like two red brick-buildings until you see the 'broken' gable top on the one to the left. Impressive!

Thank you for sharing this with us, Chato - And welcome back to the 'crowd'!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:19 AM   #3

Nice shots. Spectacular mural. The original building is almost invisible.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Amazing place, Chato!
What a mural. Wonderful scenes, spread across this mighty wall. With some clever perspective tricks added, making this a place to explore. I specially like the hand of the hidden Domino-player, looking at his 'hand'!

It really looks like two red brick-buildings until you see the 'broken' gable top on the one to the left. Impressive!

Thank you for sharing this with us, Chato - And welcome back to the 'crowd'!
There are fake windows as well as real ones. The artist made full use of every aspect of the building. Despite praise of these images, I wasn't being humble by saying they do not do this painting justice.

I'm trying to find out the name of the artist, and if and when, will post it here.

Here's one last shot, although I have many more.

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Jan 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: add picture
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Super Moderator

that is a mightily impressive mural. i just always am impressed that someone can think on such a grand scale, yet be able to then break it down into pieces small enough to paint by hands without losing the whole vision. impressive stuff.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:05 PM   #6

While there are many methods to get a mural on the wall like this, I have never seen anyone do it freehand. First the whole thing is drawn on paper in pieces actual size. Then sections of the paper are used as a template on the wall. Using a template does not detract from the artistic skills of the artist. The best way Ive seen applying a mural is with an oversized ink jet printer. A large printing head runs back and forth, travelling down a large scaffolding. Photographs are easily applied. And its an awesome sight.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
While there are many methods to get a mural on the wall like this, I have never seen anyone do it freehand. First the whole thing is drawn on paper in pieces actual size. Then sections of the paper are used as a template on the wall. Using a template does not detract from the artistic skills of the artist. The best way Ive seen applying a mural is with an oversized ink jet printer. A large printing head runs back and forth, travelling down a large scaffolding. Photographs are easily applied. And its an awesome sight.
Most of the "Street Murals" in New York are done freehand. Quite a few are superb, but this one takes the cake. Quite a few downtown buildings have murals, but these are done by recognised artists, and are probably done as you describe.

I'm often in this neighborhood and intend to find out more about the artist and his technique. I'll be happy to share this information.

Once again, these photographs do not do justice to this painting. It's impact on the viewer is stunning! I wish I had a wide angle lens, because backing off makes it too far away, and standing close loses quite a bit of the effect.

Many years ago some genius painted images of mythological figures on the huge pillars holding up the BQE Expressway near the Williamsburg Bridge. But over time, the painting has disappeared. A shame, it rivaled this one, and I never took any pictures...

Dave