Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Comics

Pretty much everything you could possibly ever need is peddled on the streets of New York.

#1. The second and third floors of the corner building on 40th and 7th with the protruding Spiderman billboard, Midtown Comics, is one of the larger comic book stores in Manhattan. (It may be the largest if you combine their other branch on Lexington and 45th.)

Collectible, decades-old comics are reasonably priced at $5 and up. I used to frequent the place but since they pulled out issues from the Bronze Age (my age -- the 70s) as well as others from the shelves (perhaps available only by mail-order or online I don't really know) I stopped.

I didn't crop the image too much so you can appreciate more of the splendor of the NYC street-corner .

#2. This guy, one block away on 40th and Broadway, sells comics on the sidewalk -- including my treasured Bronze Age issues -- for $2-$3.

Needless to say, I check him out frequently (almost everyday) as he is along my path going home.

#3. These are some of the stuff that sit on my desk but don't read at work . I bought them from the sidewalk vendor. As you can see, I'm more of a DC fan.

Some of you have recently expressed your bewilderment as to why we manage to live in such a crowded, busy, and hectic environment as New York. This is why.

As always, C&C welcome! Thanks for looking!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 6, 2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added "too much" because I did crop a little.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:41 PM   #2

I dislike photos and stories like these...

This is because I had about three hundred comic books, mostly from the fifties, and when my parents moved they tossed them in the garbage.

If it wasn't for this little detail, I would tell you that I enjoyed the series...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:02 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i love the combination of still and motion in the 2nd shot. a nice series!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:05 PM   #4

LOL, like the comic store, and the cell phone antenna painted to blend into the building.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:20 AM   #5

Dave, I appreciate your response. I, too, don’t have my old collection anymore, so I’m inclined to say join the club. But hey, it may not be the same but you can always rebuild your collection -- like what I'm doing now.

If it weren't your parents I'm sure it will be something else. Maybe even you mistakenly thinking you've outgrown them and tossed or given them away then banging your head repeatedly against the wall the moment you do -- like what I'm doing now.

Thanks, Hards80! It is (as usual) part of a three-bracket shot. But the right- and over-exposed ones came out blurred because there was no fire hydrant or mailbox I can use for tripod. If I had known the shot would be on the bright side (the food vendor’s and Citibank’s interiors are blown out) I would have switched to manual with a faster speed.

Oh well, he’s there almost everyday so I can re-take anytime.

I'd say he’s a fine gentleman, too. He’s not out to rip people off. In fact, I’d say he’s the one people are trying to rip off. They haggle with his already low prices.

One time a man in an expensive-looking business suit asked how much one of his business planners was. “$4” the vendor said. The man-in-suit said something I didn’t hear then hurriedly walked away but the vendor said in an exasperated voice partly after the man-in-suit then partly to me, “You’ll find this in stores for fifteen bucks!” I believe him. If the man-in-suit shop-compared at Staples and wanted to come back, he’d have a lot of ego to swallow the way he stormed off earlier.

There’s another street vendor -- a book vendor on Madison and 40th -- who like him is polite. One day I’ll take a picture of his “store”.

shoturtle, I had difficulty identifying the cell antenna last night, but with my better monitor here at work I think I found it. I think they're the big black vertical rectangular boxes at the roof ledge right above where the Spiderman billboard is. If so, then yes, they are neatly camouflaged it’s funny .

To all, sorry for the long post. What skills I lack in photography, I try to make up for with my waddling tongue.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM. Reason: Oops I did it before and I did it again -- I called Dave "Chato"
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Dave, I appreciate your response. I, too, donít have my old collection anymore, so Iím inclined to say join the club. But hey, it may not be the same but you can always rebuild your collection -- like what I'm doing now.

If it weren't your parents I'm sure it will be something else. Maybe even you mistakenly thinking you've outgrown them and tossed or given them away then banging your head repeatedly against the wall the moment you do -- like what I'm doing now.
I believe I could retire in style if I still had all those comics. While they were fun at the time, they are worth BIG BUCK$ today. In some landfill, there they linger. The only thing I'm pleased about is when I asked my parents about them, and they causually mentioned tossing them, instead of raving and ranting, I simply said, "oh." After I left, I then raved and ranted.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote