Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:12 PM   #1

Default Lightning Anyone??

I'm a Amateur storm chaser here in Minnesota. One of the things that I love to do is get lightning shots. Last year was not a good year at all for getting lightning photos as we did not have many storms, but here are a couple.
All shots are taken with Nikon d40

scarface199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:17 PM   #2

Nice shots. Out of curiosity, how many shots did you take to get these 3? Picture 3 is my favorite simply because of the clouds.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:31 PM   #3
Super Moderator

these are great. i really love the 1st one, really shows off the power lof the lightning.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:09 PM   #4

Thanks! The first 2 are from the same storm. And out of about 50 photos, maybe 10-15 will be worth keeping. Thank god for digital
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:32 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Good shots, I always like to see someone out shooting something outside of the normal. Also I like the added element of angled shots, not something that usually works in landscape but with these I like it!!

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:21 PM   #6

Awesome work!!!! I am really liking those clouds in that last shot, the light on them is just fantastic!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammitt View Post
Awesome work!!!! I am really liking those clouds in that last shot, the light on them is just fantastic!

Bob
Thanks very much, That storm was extremely powerful, We setup where we thought storms were going to fire up, but the clouds during the day did not clear up enough giving enough surface heating to really fuel the thunderstorms, so we all started to head home and the sun poked out for about 30 minutes, then we noticed a few updrafts starting to show up, so we stopped and watched them develop from a shower to having a tornado on the ground within about 28 minutes, intense. The storm tops on that particular cell hit 60k feet. Amazing power. I wish we would have had time to get ahead of the storm for me to get a shot of the tornado.
Here is another shot of the same storm, not the best shot in the world. but it is the back side of the tornado, it was rain wrapped so pretty hard to see.
Old May 1, 2010, 7:02 PM   #8

A couple I got last night. Almost forgot how to manual focus at night to get the shots, they are a bit out of focus. Rusty from not taking lightning shots for almost 8 months

Old May 1, 2010, 11:04 PM   #9

Awesome pictures scarface, where in Minnesota did you take these? I live in Austin, and we had a tornado come thru here last summer.
BigDaddy12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 9:12 AM   #10

Thanks!
Most of them were taken pretty close to my house in St. louis park. The one that looks like the war of the worlds (picture 4) was taken in August 2009 when that tornado passed through Plymouth when we were on a storm chase