Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old May 16, 2010, 6:42 PM   #1

Default Not HDR but Orton

I post this pick here as i would like to propose to rename this forum as: HDR-Orton forum. It's a pretty impressive effect, works with layers, opacities, etc. and can render very nice and sometimes similar results (well, not in this case, i'm just learning it).

Autumn leaves

Last edited by Ordo; May 16, 2010 at 7:20 PM. Reason: Just thank to a good moderator here.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Edited.

Last edited by Ordo; May 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 2:01 PM   #3

just gave it a try from one of those links you posted in a older post on a guide

Old May 17, 2010, 2:50 PM   #4

Personally I dont see Orton as having anything to do with HDR. Two completely different effects for photo manipulation. In my opinion one effect is constructive while the other is destructive. Orton effect works sometimes but not all the time. All I usually see is a blurry contrasty image. This is the HDR thread. If posts are other than HDR related they should be posted elsewhere. I wouldnt like to see this thread diluted with all forms of post processing methods.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 3:26 PM   #5

Edited

Last edited by Ordo; May 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 4:43 PM   #6

Irregardless of how you look at it, this is the HDR thread and not the Whatever thread. I expect to see HDR photos, good bad or indifferent. If you think there is enough interest in Orton, Light Painting, or any other process, push for it and keep at it until they finally open another thread. There is one for Digital Art already which would cover everything else. HDR thread was opened finally because of its surge in popularity with the intention of spreading the news and seeing the shots which are uniquely HDR. I dont see why you want to include your shots in the HDR thread. The similarity in procedures is remarkably different and deals with more than just simply dropping a fuzzy layer over the normal layer and adjusting its transparency. I hope to see only HDR pics in the HDR thread. Now I hope others will interject their opinions on this matter before things get out of hand.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 5:21 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I am going to side with Bynx on this one.

While we use a loose definition of HDR to include tone-mapped images. And probably the most appropriate term for the forum would be tone-mapping, HDR is a more widely-recognized name.

The Orton effect is vastly different from tone mapping, as it really is just a combined effect of a few layers. That does not devalue its use, it is a really great effect, one that I use, but I fail to see the connection to HDR.

Hope you don't mind I moved to "other photos", because its not really digital art either.
Old May 17, 2010, 5:42 PM   #8

That's ok for me Dustin.
But as my intention was to move other posters to experiment the Orton effect, and not to over post my picks, i'll delete all of them but the first one. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2010, 5:44 PM   #9
Super Moderator

if you would prefer it moved to a different forum, where manipulation techniques are used, i can do that too. i just wasn't sure where best to put it.
Old May 17, 2010, 6:03 PM   #10

It's OK here Dustin.