Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1

Default A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte

The City of Davenport has a city park on an island in the Mississippi called Credit Island. In the early 1800's it a trading post hence it's name. It has also, in it's history been the site of a battle, an airfield, a picnic area/amusement park and a golf course. It current uses include fishing, hiking, bicycling, picnic area, children's playground and art exhibit.

Whoa, an art (sculpture) exhibit, how's that again? About 20 yrs. ago an area artist came up with the idea that Credit Island would be a perfect and historically appropriate location for a sculptural translation of George Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte". He was able to convince both the city and enough private donors to pull off the project. He translated the painting into 3 dimensional drawing, a local sculptor who worked in wood carved the figures out of fallen trees from Credit Island and a 3d artist developed the painting technique to be reminiscent of Seurat's and carried it out with the aid of area art students.

Because of the material and location these figures have to be restored from time to time which has just been completed. My wife thought it would be a good idea to have some photos of these sculptures in their pristine state and sent me forth.

Info on Seurat's painting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sunda...a_Grande_Jatte

A. C.
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:11 AM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
The City of Davenport has a city park on an island in the Mississippi called Credit Island. In the early 1800's it a trading post hence it's name. It has also, in it's history been the site of a battle, an airfield, a picnic area/amusement park and a golf course. It current uses include fishing, hiking, bicycling, picnic area, children's playground and art exhibit.

Whoa, an art (sculpture) exhibit, how's that again? About 20 yrs. ago an area artist came up with the idea that Credit Island would be a perfect and historically appropriate location for a sculptural translation of George Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte". He was able to convince both the city and enough private donors to pull off the project. He translated the painting into 3 dimensional drawing, a local sculptor who worked in wood carved the figures out of fallen trees from Credit Island and a 3d artist developed the painting technique to be reminiscent of Seurat's and carried it out with the aid of area art students.

Because of the material and location these figures have to be restored from time to time which has just been completed. My wife thought it would be a good idea to have some photos of these sculptures in their pristine state and sent me forth.

Info on Seurat's painting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sunda...a_Grande_Jatte

A. C.

A. C.,

Yes, yes, Seurat. Seurat. I have come back to this thread a couple of times. Such a creative enterprice and such eloquent background story. Very well photographed.

Sorry, my English isn't good enough. There is such a great correspondence between the painting and the sculptures

Indeed a fantastic art enterprice.

I thank you and your wife of all my heart for showing us these photos and providing all the information

One great artist, Seaurat; great sculptures and astonishing photographs. Thank you both

Torgny

Btw The drawings - do you know if they exist today?

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Aug 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:52 AM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

A. C.,

Made a search and some studies. The picture is under the public domain

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ande_Jatte.jpg

so I thought I could post it here. I can delete the reply if you don't want it here

That light patch in the shadowy area! Photographers are obviously not the only ones who have enjoyed/do enjoy the possibilities of, and/or have struggled/do struggle with light

Wish you and your family a nice weekend

Torgny
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Aug 6, 2010 at 9:00 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Thanks for your comments on my potos. I don't mind at all the link to the larger picture. I debated whether to link to the picture or the article and chose the article as I thought folks might like the background on the painting. Now they have both.

I don't know about the project drawings. I suspect the Davenport Parks Department may have them. I have spoken to the sculptor, Tom Gleich, a Davenport Schools industrial arts instructor, once while he was working on his first monumental work. "Majestic Hope" is a stunning(IMO) sculpture of a sandhill crane standing in marsh grasses. The report is that he has received fairly steady commisions since completing Sunday Afternoon project.

A. C.

Added: I guess if Seurat posted his painting to the Internet now someone would have suggested he clone out the light patch within the shadow|:-) By the way here is another link to the history on project http://mingo.info-science.uiowa.edu/...%20history.htm

Last edited by ac.smith; Aug 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:09 PM   #5

Interesting idea. Something new. Good picks indeed.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:07 PM   #6

I mentioned the sculptor Tom Gleich by name but I didn't mention the conceptual artist who is both a sculptor and a painter, Ted McElhiney. He has a number of public sculptures in the area. Photos of his works in this area are at http://www.wiu.edu/art/public_art/ht...mcelhiney.html .

A. C.