Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:32 AM   #1

Default Just another moon shot.

Im guessing this belongs here.
The moon is still kicking my butt, Cant seem to get what I have in my head in the image I look at. I know the full moon leaves little to detail because no angle on the light isnt going to cast shadows. This is specifically full moon related.

Anyhow we had a lovely full moon last night. Enough that it once again peaked my curiousity and a little play time.
After setting up the tripod with a gimbal head the weapon of choice was my 400 2.8 and MKIV. In the pocket were two canon TCs the 1.4x and 2x.

Heres what boggles me. In the end the image shown is from the 1.4<2x<400 TCs stacked. I started by just the 1.4 and decided that just wanst enough so I went to the 2x. I shot a few, got the exposure dialed and focus dialed in with live view. My settings were ISO 400, f5.6, 1/800.
OK now I think I should fill the frame more and stack the 1.4x behind the 2x. OK in my head I know that the aperture should be at f8 with this comobo so before shooting I go ahead and slow the shutter down to 1/400. To my suprise the Av was showing 5.6 when I was expecting 8. Only the 2x was registering. So I figure well its f8 and shoot. I get a big white Blob at 1/400. I put exposure back to 1/800 where it was and get the same exposure levels I had with the 2x, nearly identical histograms.
So just for good measure I set the AV in the camera to f8 and exposure to 1/400 and got the correct exposure. Tell me how the math works out on this one because its got me stumped. I should have had half as much light but had the same

JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:03 PM   #2

I like your shot a lot. It's much better than what I can accomplish with my consumer-grade Sony 300mm zoom. Or maybe it's the technique as you carefully outlined for us? (Thanks for that.)

I hope you don't mind I wondered what Topaz Detail would do to it so I gave it a try. I applied its "micro contrast enhancement" preset below. I'm hoping it would produce the detail you had in mind.

I think I'm in the same situation as you are regarding taking photos of the moon. When I went to the Hayden Planetarium last year, I saw a giant poster of the moon with lots of detail and very high contrast. I thought then it must have been taken by the Apollo craft as it approached the moon. Now I think it was taken by a land-based camera mounted on a tripod employing the techniques you mentioned and then simply photoshopped.

EDIT: BTW, you can continue to use Topaz products past its trial expiration date if you don't mind changing your computer's date each time before you load the plug-in. That's not violating any agreement is it? (If it is, please mods feel free to delete this comment and accept my apologies.) Because I'm sure if you find yourself using it a lot, you'll eventually end up buying it. I'm talking from experience.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Sep 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:22 PM   #3

VV that to me gave that shot a lot of great effect out bring it like you dusted away the greyness some what just to see better the subject....

Just in Thyme that is a great shot I tried to get some the other night and I was just to cold and tired last night but I may go to night to get some up to the church where there is a big clearing to gain a shot of the likes ....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:38 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Im guessing this belongs here.
The moon is still kicking my butt, Cant seem to get what I have in my head in the image I look at. I know the full moon leaves little to detail because no angle on the light isnt going to cast shadows. This is specifically full moon related.

Anyhow we had a lovely full moon last night. Enough that it once again peaked my curiousity and a little play time.
After setting up the tripod with a gimbal head the weapon of choice was my 400 2.8 and MKIV. In the pocket were two canon TCs the 1.4x and 2x.

Heres what boggles me. In the end the image shown is from the 1.4<2x<400 TCs stacked. I started by just the 1.4 and decided that just wanst enough so I went to the 2x. I shot a few, got the exposure dialed and focus dialed in with live view. My settings were ISO 400, f5.6, 1/800.
OK now I think I should fill the frame more and stack the 1.4x behind the 2x. OK in my head I know that the aperture should be at f8 with this comobo so before shooting I go ahead and slow the shutter down to 1/400. To my suprise the Av was showing 5.6 when I was expecting 8. Only the 2x was registering. So I figure well its f8 and shoot. I get a big white Blob at 1/400. I put exposure back to 1/800 where it was and get the same exposure levels I had with the 2x, nearly identical histograms.
So just for good measure I set the AV in the camera to f8 and exposure to 1/400 and got the correct exposure. Tell me how the math works out on this one because its got me stumped. I should have had half as much light but had the same
Hmmm, can't work the maths on that either. I thought possibly when you put the 1.4x in place then the camera read that and not the 2x, but then you would have needed to have been showing f4 so that's out of the equation. Pretty much I have no clue, it could be that I've just woken up and am not thinking straight or there is something up. The best bet is to ship you 1DmkIV and the 400mm f2.8 to me for a couple of years testing and I will let you know the outcome

What is it that we all love about trying to shoot the moon? Here were my attempts at the end of last year, the lens resolution isn't enough with all the TCs I was using, but still fun to try. Another bash at the moon

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:46 AM   #5

I wonder if you could get some neat results by stacking shots of the moon taken at different phases rather that trying to get it all in one go from a full moon when as you say the shadows don't exist?

Anyway, I ran your shot through my AutoHDR on the detailed preset as well and got something similar to vv's Topaz treatment, just a bit more extreme:

MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:40 AM   #6

Can it be the distance?
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
The best bet is to ship you 1DmkIV and the 400mm f2.8 to me for a couple of years testing and I will let you know the outcome
Sure, just get me your shipping info and Ill get them shipped out today!

I dont know what is so captivating either. I attempted to get Jupiter but all I got was an orange blob but at least it had color! Two moons were visible but not posting an orange blob. Im going to continue on the next cycle with about 1/4 waxing to get the shadows.
Thanks for the PP samples.

Sharpshotgal getting reach makes a huge difference in getting detail like the craters, even when you have to sacrifice a loss of IQ from the TCs. I shot a few more the following night and the craters we becoming more detailed on the upper right. Cant get a thing right now though.
Stacking shots would be extremly difficult, its hard to keep the moon where you want it in the frame at these focal lengths as it is. I noted that if I started with the moon in the lower left corner of the frame it was out of the frame completely in less than 30 seconds. One doesnt realize how fast it actually moves across the sky until you are locked in on it and watch it move with long reach teles.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Oct 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote