Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:57 PM   #1

Default PhotoPlus Expo - New York City

I went to the PhotoPlus Expo at Javits Center in New York City today. I went there only during my lunch break so I didn’t get to try any of the new products other than the Sony A55 though. I thought 10 frames-per-second was unbelievably fast.

#1)

When I arrived two girls were modeling at the Nikon booth. I thought they didn’t show much enthusiasm for what they were doing -- their faces seemed long -- and even looked lackadaisical in their movements. But when I pulled out my camera and starting shooting, they seemed to come alive and started really posing. They even seemed to seek me out from the crowd as I changed positions. Of course if you ask them now they will say I’m hallucinating but on account of the photos here that I took, I will argue that I’m not. .

#2)

#3)

#4)

#5)

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM. Reason: Replace Javits photo with an HDR version.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:41 PM   #2

That is an expensive show at 50 dollars to enter.

Well the model are wearing some pretty colorful outfits. Good for photo ops. Thanks for shearing.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:49 PM   #3

50 bucks? I wouldn't know. A friend of mine showed me how to get free tickets at FB courtesy of Tiffen.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:50 PM   #4

yeah, it is 50 bucks to get in, that is why I never go. But I was out of town also.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:51 PM   #5

From the evidence, I'd say you were perhaps the star of the show.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:12 PM   #6

Some more photos...

#6) Topaz was there and so was Unified Color Technologies maker of Expose HDR Software which according to Popular Photography Magazine is their favorite HDR software. Their presence at the show I guess says a lot about them -- or at least their drive to promote their products. MediaChance (maker of DPHDR) and HDRSoft (maker of Photomatix) weren't there nor was Adobe (maker of Photoshop).

Anyway, this is a photo of Topaz Labs' booth. For the small booth that they had (the smallest-sized available booth at the expo) I was quite surprised they had a very packed crowd the time I was there.

The Topaz presenter was showing how easy it was to lift a palm tree off an image and paste it on a different background using Remask. I think he was successful at wowing the crowd.

But when it was over and the presenter said for $129 you get not just Remask but the whole bundle including Adjust, Detail, DeNoise, etc. (normally costing $180) which they only offer at shows like this, the crowd turned its back and started leaving. Some of the faces I saw had the look of disbelief at the price like, 129-bucks-for-copying-and-pasting? I thought I saw an expression of exasperation on the presenter's face like come-on-you-go-to-our-competitors-and-you-pay-hundreds-more.

I think he should also have showed how easy it is to create eye-popping, HDR-looking images with Adjust before he mentioned the price.

#7) This is a fun picture to shoot. While the whole floor was poorly lit for handheld photography, this Buzz Lightyear action figure was in a small encasement that was brightly lit. Because of the bright lighting, I was surprised I can take pictures of it handheld.

#8) I own a Sony so I thought I'd take a picture of the Sony booth to show the expo's floor.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 30, 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
yeah, it is 50 bucks to get in, that is why I never go. But I was out of town also.
I used to work nearby. Whenever there was a computer show, some coworkers somehow managed to score free passes and we borrowed one another's passes and took turns going. One time, a coworker went into the show then right behind the person checking people's passes he handed his pass to his friend on the other side of the post barrier.

I never paid to go there either.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
From the evidence, I'd say you were perhaps the star of the show.
I couldn't believe it either .
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:19 PM   #9

The car show motorcycle show is not to bad, under 20 bucks. But 50 dollars to go into a show. It is just a bit much. Tiffen is nice that way giving free passes.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:25 PM   #10

Paying for the shows are for the absolute amateurs. There is always free tickets available online for the shows particularly photo shows. After all they are there to sell you something. And paying $50 for that privilege is ridiculous.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote