Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Nintendo 3DS at Grand Central, NYC

Nintendo is launching 3DS -- the same size and dimension as the DS but with 3D video without the 3D glasses -- in the US on March 27th.

I didn't know what the booth was about when I took a shortcut through Grand Central -- I just stopped to take pictures when one of the white-jumper-suited Nintendo people approached me asking if I wanted to play. I said yes. I was impressed when he showed me the 3D videogame on the tiny handheld -- it really was 3D. And I didn't have to wear 3D glasses or cross my eyes.

Cost is $249 and will be available on March 27th. "But," he said, "if you go to Japan you can buy it there now."

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:05 PM   #2

Wow, you sure know how to use this camera!
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Awesome!

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:44 PM   #4

Thank you, banksy, Brad.

I went back today and showed the HDR image (#1) on my Blackberry to the two jumpsuited guys I spoke to the last time. They were both amazed as I explained HDR. I also showed them the dark-to-bright set of images I took on my camera's LCD display. They quickly showed my image to their coworkers. One of them said I should send my picture to Nintendo and get paid.

As I looked around some more at the Nintendo 3DS units on display, another guy approached me and said, "I can't help overhearing about HDR..." and we got into a little chat. Apparently he's heard of HDR, wanted to try it, but never got to. He said he has a gorilla(-pod). I said I used to have that too until I switched to the tripod I was carrying -- a compact Giottos tripod with 8 leg sections -- because of the extra height. His eyes popped out when I extended my tabletop-height tripod to more than 3 feet in height.

My new Giottos compact tripod is meant for p&s and camcorders -- even the Giottos website shows so -- and reviews say it can't support a DSLR. Not true. Before buying I went to B&H Photo Video and actually tried it out on my Sony A350 with a Tamron 10-24mm lens. It's sturdier than my gorillapod and can definitely support a DSLR. Highly recommended especially for shooting in the city when you want to pack light. No longer do I have to look for mailboxes to mount my gorillapod -- I can simply extend the legs and shoot from anywhere now. I also saw similar models at Staples and Target for $15.

#2) Taken from the other side.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote