Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Sony F717 sharpness Test.

Here are a few pics....Trying to get the most sharpness out of the camera....wasn't too worried about pics being straight and all. What do you think? Did only slight USM in photoshop.

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2004, 2:54 AM   #2

What sharpness setting were you using on the camera? I always use the default. I don't see the need to sharpen in-camera, because that will probabably just sharpen whatever noise is present in the image. I do all the sharpening afterward. I seem to get good results when resizing pictures if I do it in 2 parts instead of all at once. Say I want to resize a full 2560x1920 picture down to 800x600 (with resampling, of course). I get the "messy" reszing out of the way in the first step by resizing to 1600x1200. Then I sharpen, and resize again to 800x600. This seems to produce a better result than going straight to 800x600 and sharpening the final product. The difference is especially apparent when the original picture contains something that's subject to moire distortion when resized.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:17 AM   #3

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to steal your fire... your pictures look good.

But, I have two images that prove the adventages of my two-step resizing method.

Here's the view from my hotel room in Chicago last June.

In the first version, many of the buildings got a moire effect when the picture was resized from 1536x2048 (yep, it was taken in 3 MP mode) to 480x640. I applied USM with radius .2 at 100% to this picture. They look better in the second version. I resized to 960x1280, applied USM with radius .3 at 100%, and then resized to 480x640. The grids in the building facades look cleaner. It may not be quite as apparent viewing the images on this forum as it is when I toggle between them in IrfanView.

If this already a well-known trick, then I feel somewhat silly, but also proud for having discovered it on my own...
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 6:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPhotos
If this already a well-known trick, then I feel somewhat silly, but also proud for having discovered it on my own...
I didn't know it ! Thanx for sharing !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:44 PM   #5

Well....I like your technigue. I think I need to give it a try. I have always read that you do not want to sharpen and then downsize the pic...but by your examples....the second picture does look better than the first.

I used in camera sharpening of +1. I can not go up from this because I do notice some noise in the image. These pictures were taken with iso200 at f4 at about 1/200. I tried several other pics at different aperature settings, but f4 did seem to provide the sharpest pictures. I have read on other forums that F4 is the "sweet spot" for the f717. I then decided that if F4 is the sweet spot...then what focal length would add to the sharpness. I think all pictures were very sharp at all 3 focal lengths. I think my USM settings were 100/.6/2. I really have no system for sharpening but I have seen some really sharp pictures out of the F717 by other photographers but I am sure that this is achieved through post processing which I lack the ability to perform with greatness.

"some time later":

I went ahead and took a picture and applied your technigue and this is the end result.

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote