Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jan 19, 2004, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Some 3-D Pictures

Here are some pictures that I took with the 3-D mode on my Optio 555. They are shot using the cross method because I think it's easier to view.

full resolution

(focus on the mouse)

full resolution

full resolution

full resolution

What do you think?
JaroDefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 7:34 AM   #2

What is 3-D mode? Once a photo is taken, how is it meant to be viewed?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:52 PM   #3

In 3-D mode, you take a picture then move the camera to the right a predetermined distance (depends on how far away your subject is... I just eyeballed it and moved these over about 3-4 cm) and take another picture. The two photos are combined in the camera side-by-side and it forms a single picture.

Now, viewing them is a bit difficult to explain but I'll try.

If you just look at the picture you see 2 photos. Now, cross your eyes and you see double (4 photos). Then slowly uncross your eyes until the two pictures in the middle overlap (now we have 3 pictures). You might have to tilt your head a bit to get the pictures to line up. Just look at something in the pictures ("Microsoft" on the mouse for example) and get those to overlap perfectly. Once you do that the whole middle picture should come into focus and appear to be 3-D. It takes some practice, but it's really cool once you can do it.

Good luck!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 2:38 PM   #4

This is something I'm physically incapable of doing. The vision in one of my eyes is so poor that my brain said the heck with it from the very day I was born. It's actually an advantage in some ways. Never had a problem drawing things in perspective, and then there was the fencing teacher in college who nearly cried with joy when she discovered I was mostly one-eyed. I took one look at her own gruesomely damaged right eye and immediately quit the course. :shock:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 7:13 PM   #5

Well I'm not good at getting a 3-D crossed eyed look either. Both eyes are 100% ok. If I try correct I only see an out of focus 3-D shape...
Bcoultry; Good you quitted the 'russian' fencing course..
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:13 PM   #6

Well, trust me... they are perfectly clear and in focus if you know how to do it correctly.

Edit: Once you get that blurry 3-D image, actually try to focus on it. Don't just uncross your eyes until they combine. You actually need to look at and focus on that middle picture as if it was one normal picture.

So hard to explain, but it's really easy once you get it for the first time.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:10 AM   #7

COOL !!!

Took me a few attempts but got there in the end.

I will have to try this my self
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 1:45 PM   #8

Anyone got a headache pill? :evil: :twisted: :roll:
Iíve tried several times to view the ď3-DĒ image and so far have only ended up with blurred vision and a strange facial expression.
Think Iíll stick with good old 2-D for now.

Just hope you donít have to go through the eye-crossing exercise when taking these shots !!
deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:15 PM   #9

lol, it's relatively painless once you can get it quickly. And no, you don't have to be crosseyed to take the pics :P
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:26 PM   #10

Default Wonderful...

Thank-you for sharing these photos AND the method (never occurred to me!). I have a small box of 3-D slide photos that are very wonderful to view (I have this one of someone who passed away and it makes them so real that I always want to reach out) through the handheld 3-d viewer. Now, I can reproduce the same effect (hopefully) with my digital camera. Yippee!!

Thank-you very much!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :P

Beep Beep,
Darby

P.S. I loved the third one down. It's awesome. Well, all of them are. Please, feel free to do more! I love getting a "cross-my-eyes-for-3d" headache! :-)
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote