Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:29 PM   #1

Default Found in trunk

I found this black and white photo in a trunk. It is scanned so the quality isnít great. We were just coming up on a target for a night attack mission and I pulled up and snapped this as we were coming up over the flares. I have no idea what camera I took it with.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:42 PM   #2

Wow, that is both beautiful and scary.

I'm not sure if this is from the current Iraq War...but either way--Thank-you for defending our freedom and protecting our way of life here in America.

God Bless America.

Darby
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:14 PM   #3

Hello Slipe...

Thank you for sharing just a glimpse of your former profession.

Awesome.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:13 AM   #4

Darby I donít think they used flares for air attack in Iraq. They stayed too high to avoid groundfire and the night attack work was performed by planes with FLIR and night vision equipment.

The photo is Vietnam era. It was always scary at night. It is probably my favorite photo I have ever taken. When I see it I still get that ďJesus, here we go againĒ feeling. Everyone in the squadron liked it so much that we had the photo lab make prints for everyone.

digcamfan A profession I dearly miss. The biggest disadvantage of growing old is that I canít join an Air Guard fighter squadron.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:40 PM   #5

Default Oops...

I guess I showed my age. I apologize. I still offer my sincere gratitude to you for defending our country! A shot like that is a glimpse into the past. Thank-you for sharing. Very moving.

Darby :-)
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:57 PM   #6

Slipe,

Great picture! Thanks for sharing with us.

Were they F-4s?

Thanks for protecting and serving your country (us)!

cfrick
cfrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:10 PM   #7

Sometimes the most unplanned photo has the most impact and emotion. I can only imagine what is was like flying into that.

I am curious as to what aircraft you flew. I first thought they were A-4's but they don't have the hump in back. Were they F-105 Thuds? (I am an aviation buff and can usally ID an aircraft but this one I cannot)
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:48 AM   #8

Slipe, great photo!!! I love images from the past, especially with a military theme. Thanks for sharing and thanks for serving our country!!

Cfrick, I believe the planes are A-6's. Not 100% sure so don't hold me to it.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Were they F-4s?
Quote:
Were they F-105 Thuds?
Quote:
I believe the planes are A-6's. Not 100% sure so don't hold me to it.
They were F-100s. We had the C models, which were much better fighters than the more common Ds. The difference between the C and D in a practice dogfight was about the difference between a Spitfire and a Spad. We had no flaps so we took off and landed almost supersonic, but they were nice once you got them in the air. The D was a little less exciting getting off the ground with a bomb load though.

Quote:
Thank-you for defending our freedom and protecting our way of life here in America.
Quote:
I still offer my sincere gratitude to you for defending our country!
Quote:
Thanks for protecting and serving your country (us)!
Quote:
Thanks for sharing and thanks for serving our country!!
It is amazing the difference back then. We were treated as lepers when we got back. It didnít bother us too much as we were pretty self-contained. But I felt sorry for the grunts who had slogged through the jungle for a year, with mangled buddies dying in their arms and scared most of the time. Or the thud drivers who had a probability of getting shot down (2%/mission for 100 missions) with many of their friends dead or in the Hanoi Hilton. To come back and be spit on was an injustice beyond my ability to describe. They were just serving their country Ė not making the policy that sent them there. The creeps who were too mean or stupid to make the distinction are beyond my contempt.

Other than wish we could take some napalm plus a full load of 20mm and visit one of their rallies we didnít think too much about it. Nobody pulled out flags at football games with announcements of how we were supporting our troops Ė it was politically incorrect.

I was vocally opposed to going into Iraq. Not because I donít think the use of force can be necessary, but because I donít trust the nationís staying power in the age of war brought to the living room. Once we committed I fully support not only our troops but also our requirement to stay the course. We had the choice to not go in, but we donít have a choice of bugging out and leaving the area in chaos. And the men and women we sent into harmís way deserve our support. Iím ecstatic at the open support and gratitude for our troops.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 5:31 PM   #10

Amen.

Great photo. When I saw it and noticed the 'snubby' look of the fuselage I immediately thought it was an older generation photo. The confimation of it as an F-100 was nice since it meant that I could still ID the shape. That plane was one of the first models I ever made. I loved that old stand mounted plane.

Those must have been terrifying days/nights. Weaving in and out of the darkness with flashes and explosions surrounding your craft.

None of us who are in the rear with the gear will ever appreciate what each person doing that those kinds of jobs (be they in a jet supersonic or in a tank slow and low) go through. The only fitting thing we can offer is our support and also our commitment to those who bear the weight for the cost of our freedoms.
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote