Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Feb 4, 2004, 4:32 AM   #1

Default Waiting for Gandalf

Can you believe it? Lord of the Rings: Return of the King hasn't arrived in Japan yet,--but only 10 more days! (opening on Valentine's Day). This gentleman is obviously not impressed.

at Nagatsuta Station, Den'en Toshi-sen, Tokyo

Oly C-755
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 5:35 PM   #2

He may not be impressed, but I am, both because it's a nice shot and because it brings up a question: do they do subtitles or do they dub in the voices?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:12 PM   #3

Barb
Quote:
Subtitles or dubbed?
Both, depending on the theater and audience. Dubbed films are mostly meant for children, while subtitles are more family/adult fare. Sometimes a film will be put out in two versions, one dubbed and one with subtitles, if it's thought there's a sufficient audience in both age groups. The dubbed version is usually shown at one or two showings during the early part of the day, and the subtitles at the rest. That usually happens with animation films. I doubt that LOTR even had a dubbed version, though, since (adult) people nowadays feel hearing the original voices is part of the experience.

There's a whole cottage industry dedicated to subtitle translating, by the way, led by the queen of them all, Toda Natsuko, the translator people love to hate for a) her power in the industry, and b) her frequent odd choices for translationese. Fans were very upset over her subtitles in the the first of the trilogy, since she had obviously not read the books or understand the import of what she was translating, and a campaign was even raised to try get her booted from the subsequent episodes, but I don't think anything came of it.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:33 PM   #4

HAHAHAHA for a second there, I thought someone was waiting on me! Ahh silly sn that i picked 10 years ago
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 2:58 PM   #5

Quote:
There's a whole cottage industry dedicated to subtitle translating, by the way, led by the queen of them all, Toda Natsuko, the translator people love to hate for a) her power in the industry, and b) her frequent odd choices for translationese.
Oh dear, now you've gone and done it. You've gotten me interested in something I've never thought about before: the who and how of translations in the film industry. A translator could actually have huge power over a film, making it or breaking it. I wonder if anyone's ever written a book on this part of the industry. I'll have to go sniffing for one.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote