Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Navy, Coast Guard

It's Navy Days at Los Angeles Harbor with only one ship this year. The battleship USS Wayne E Meyer, it was commissioned October 18, 2009 so it's relatively new.
Also to add to the attraction the US Coast Guard Cutter George Cobb was there to tour.
For anyone who attended last years mess, the port made huge improvements this year. No more 5 hour lines.

Here is a photo tour of yesterday.

1. The USS Wayne E Meyer ( The inventor of the modern day computerized weapons system ). The modern day destroyers are smaller then those from the WWII era, the new technology allows for new smaller smart weapons rather then the 18" cannons from yesteryear.
This year there was no photography allowed inside the ship only outside on the deck (yeah, I tried and got yelled at).

2. This is one of two bays to park a helicopter in. Notice the fire gear inside and laid out. Landing a helicopter on a small ship without much room for error is just a little crazy, don't you think?

3. We then traveled through the ship (no photography) and went to the operations room then the bridge. Lots and lots of radar computer screens, missile guidance, navigation screens etc. What I noticed about this ship compared to the older frigate (USS Princeton) we toured last year was the lack of exposed wiring. Everything was very clean much more organized, ship shape so to speak. This shot is from the perch just outside the bridge where the captain sits in a special chair that no one else is allowed to sit anytime (except for civilians). The chair;

4. Looking towards the stern (the USS Iowa is behind).

5. Towards the bow (bridge at right, Coast Guard Cutter ahead).

6.Some on board arsenal.

9. Missile launchers.

10. The big gun,

11. Coast Guard Cutter George Cobb. This ship does buoy placement and maintenance work which is quite fascinating when you listen to the importance of buoy's and the work that it takes. They also assist fish and game, the DEA, Homeland security and ICE.

12. The crane on the bow. It routinely lifts a 5X5 piece of concrete with up to 3000 feet of chain attached to the buoy.

It was a great experience going onto a destroyer, highly recommended. Make sure you take the widest lens you have it's difficult to shoot such large subjects in tight quarters. I brought the Tamron 10-24 wich worked out better then the 17-50 I brought last year.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by lomitamike; Aug 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:43 PM   #2

Nice series of shots... and I wonder, could you have sneaked a couple of interior shots with something a little more discreet..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the tour, enjoyed.

jj
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:37 PM   #4

Thanks Simon & JJ. If you were to take a p&s (like my s95) and turn off the lcd, then yes you could have probably got some interior shots.

Just by coincidence, the green bridge in photo 3,5 and 11 is the Vincent Thomas Bridge where the director Tony Scott jumped from and killed himself the next day.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote