Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Feb 6, 2004, 7:53 PM   #1

Default Roof collapse

Heat and smoke are released as the roof collapses.

Digital Rebel
Sigma 70-300mm Zoom
ISO 400
"P" Mode
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2004, 9:21 PM   #2

Cool picture.

Personally, I think I would have turned the camera slightly more to the left to fill it with more of the smoke. It would have been more dramatic that way. Otherwise, you have all of that emptiness towards the middle and the right. Plus, it would have cut out the tree branches, which might be a bit distracting.

But, you can always crop it too!
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 9:39 AM   #3

This answers one of my questions I posted in response to the photo of the fire truck.

Danielle is probably right. Here is an example of what a lot of us, maybe me most of all, keep on forgetting: frame the photo, then back off a little to give yourself room for creative cropping or for the lack of any cropping at all.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:06 AM   #4

The plume on the right is maybe a 5 sec. at most capture, As a Fire Fighter myself I have found trying to get the exact perfect picture will result in a missed shot .In these situations you get what you can get, and then post process, God shot, That Plume is here, then gone.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
The plume on the right is maybe a 5 sec. at most capture
You brought all of us to our senses, Dale. This is essentially news photography where there isn't the leisure to fiddle around with position and zoom or much of anything else. And darn it all, I should have remembered this, having worked at a city newspaper and having spent lots of time talking with the staff photographers who were total professionals, very good at what they did, and who spent great amounts of time lamenting over all the lost-forever pictures.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:59 AM   #6

nice picture...that is true wat danielle said but not easy to get the perfect picture in 5 seconds....but great job !
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:48 PM   #7

I understand it's a difficult shot to get. I was just adding some ideas on how to make it better. But, I think it's a neat picture anyway. It's always cool to capture something that only happens in a very short amount of time.
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:55 PM   #8

Great reactions to get the shot!

It may be interesting to crop the picture around the truck beside the building......get right into the action!

And with your Rebel sized images, maybe this is possible!
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 2:02 PM   #9

Dani24 thanks for the comments, I will fill in a little about taking the photo. First I am a fire fighter charged with the duty of photographing the scene and doing the intitial investigations. I had just arrived and was able to snap that photo, it was in the first four that I took. Where I was standing at the time there was an ambulance right next to me on my left, if you look in the lower left part of the photo you will see the powerlines, they were still live and just in front of the ambulance. So for safety sake I took the photo where I could. Dani, you are very right, more angle would have been better but not practical. I've got a couple more I plan to post soon that were taken later in the event.

Again everyone, thanks for the comments. I post here not to show off :roll: but to get ideas to take better photos. Dani, yours are very good and tell you the truth I never saw that tree.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote