Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1

Default WWII Mosquito. Boy how lucky...

How many of us has seen a WWII Mosquito on the ground, let alone flying. Not many I'll bet...

Over here it's been reported that the only flying Mosqiuito will be flying this Saturday at my local aerodrome - "Ardmore". We went out there ealier to catch a glimpse of this miracle of the air and we (brother and I) waited for about an hour along with the hoards of others. No show... I said to my brother as we drove home "if it flies today, it will sound like a drone of a twin engine V-12, like a Spitfire"...

And it did... Just a few minutes ago I yelled at the top of my voice, "LISTEN". I grabbed the D600 and ran outside to get just 2 shots of it on this very overcast afternoon... I had a 24-120mm lens - no good for this sort of shot as it disappeared toward the landing field but I still got this... had to crop it and magnify but here's one...
Attached Images

Last edited by fewpics; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:44 AM   #2

Old Mossie is an amazing bird.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:43 PM   #3

Yes, and it sounds fantastic too. Hoping to head back out to the airfield this morning if all goes right, and try to get some more decent shots. Sorry for the horrid shot but if you'd seen the original, you'd understand just how small it was on the photo and how dark it was here, so had to magnify the heck out of it and crop to get something worth looking at - sort of. Now you can see one area where pixels do count...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4

When I was a kid, one of our neighbours was a pharmacist. A very nice fellow. During WW 11 he was a navigator in a Mosquito. He was a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force during the war.

I've only seen photo's of the Mosquito. Very fast planes for their day. Thanks for posting the photo.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:36 PM   #5

It was the best I could get at the time...

Over the weekend there was an airshow at Ardmore airstrip and the Mosquito flew 3 times during the day. I couldn't be there but I saw it on the news that night. What a sight it must have been...

If you wish to view that newsclip - try here...

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/wwii...-skies-5108112