Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:27 AM   #1

Default Night shots with a $40 camera

Night shots with a old $40 (used) LZ8.
Attached Images

Last edited by panny; Dec 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM.
panny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2

Back in the days of black & white photography, (around 1946) I remember an outing to take some night shots. One of us used a Rolleiflex and another used a low-priced box camera. The pictures from the box camera turned out to be much better than those from the Rolleiflex.

Both your pictures similarly demonstrate that the cost of a camera has very little to do with the artistic quality of the photographs taken with it.

That said, I prefer the composition of the first picture to that of the second one. The first picture is (in my opinion) very attractive indeed. Congratulations!
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
...(around 1946) I remember an outing to take some night shots. One of us used a Rolleiflex and another used a low-priced box camera...
1946? Wow. I wonder how many people's experience go that far back! I had to look up what a Rolleiflex is It seems to be "Price: $6,699.00" at B&H!! A collector's item now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
The first picture is (in my opinion) very attractive indeed. Congratulations!
Thank you very much!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:51 PM   #4

Panny, I too like the first pic. Amazed at the output of a cheap camera? I thought it was a little yellow, so I color corrected it in PSE. Hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Panny, I too like the first pic. Amazed at the output of a cheap camera? I thought it was a little yellow, so I color corrected it in PSE. Hope you don't mind.
Thank you very much. I am just learning and comments and feedback are encouraging and very useful. I don't have PS yet. I will try tweaking the colors in Irfanview (which is what I am using), it lets you change R/G/B, Gamma. In this case, to me it seems you removed the yellow too much

Btw, I like your signature!

Last edited by panny; Jan 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:58 PM   #6

Nice shots. I like the clarity and color tones
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny View Post
Thank you very much. I am just learning and comments and feedback are encouraging and very useful. I don't have PS yet. I will try tweaking the colors in Irfanview (which is what I am using), it lets you change R/G/B, Gamma. In this case, to me it seems you removed the yellow too much

Btw, I like your signature!
About the yellow, I was taking a wild guess. The original photographer always knows better what the scene looked like.

About the software, a lot of people use GIMP, I tried it and didn't have the patience. So I use PSE, which actually does everything I need. I DO need to upgrade, as I am still using PSE 4.0. I am running Windows 7, and it still works fine, but it's old now and I'm sure the newer versions will have better features.

About inexpensive cameras, my first camera (I think) was a Kodak Instamatic, which used a drop-in cartridge film. Long time ago!

Hang around and post a lot of pics, we'll tear 'em apart! Just kidding. There are a lot of helpful people here that just love to help, so don't hesitate.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote