Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:55 AM   #1

Default Gettysburg - 2014 Part 1

This year's reenactment was rather a disappointment in that the number of reenactors was anemic compared to last year's 150th even though it was held on the site where the movie "Gettysburg" was filmed. The reenactors that DID show up, however, really put their hearts into it and that somewhat made up for the small numbers. So, given the small numbers, I decided to take in more of the "side action". The Living History area is always good with the folks that are camped there well-versed and HIGHLY knowledgeable about whom they are portraying. The major figures give lectures in big tents provided for the purpose and I always walk away a little more enlightened to the character.

R. E. Lee with wife, Mary Custis Lee and some of his staff. Second from the right is General James Longstreet. These guys know their stuff!

This guy is actor Patrick Falci. Pat is a very likable guy that portrays General A. P. Hill. He played the same character in the movie "Gettysburg" and is first a historian and secondly an actor.

One of the things I got to do this year that I didn't get to do last year was tour the ENTIRE original battlefield. On Little Roundtop we met this man who was portraying Colonel (later General) Joshua L. Chamberlain that led the 20th Maine Infantry in holding the left flank of the Federal troops on those hills. The interesting thing about this guy is that he had absolutely no interest in the Civil War until something happened that radically changed his life. His last name is Chamberlain and he says he did an extensive study of his genealogy discovering he was from Huguenot heritage, found out his G-G-G-grandmother's ancestry, and quite a bit else. Then, someone suggested he read the book, "In the Hands of Providence". All the ancestors and dates of J. L. Chamberlain matched his PERFECTLY. He is a DIRECT descendant of Joshua and didn't even know it!!

A little bit about the action

Colonel J. L. Chamberlain
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links